• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does one's crimminal record dissapear when that person dies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kackle

What is the name of your state?NJ

I was doing research on a family member who had a very long crimminal record some 15 years worth, but can't seem to find anything. I was wondering does this person's record disapears when he died?

Jen

Son of Slam

kackle said:

I was doing research on a family member who had a very long crimminal record some 15 years worth, but can't seem to find anything. I was wondering does this person's record disapears when he died?

Jen
Jessie James, William H. Bonney, Al Capone, never heard of 'em, have you?

kackle said:

Jen
The record is still there as long as it is not sealed. For instance, you can find a record of Jesse Woodson James.

- Tom

kackle

Son of Slam said:
Jessie James, William H. Bonney, Al Capone, never heard of 'em, have you?

Yeah...... But they're famous crimminals. This person isn't, infact I'm probably the only one who is interested in knowing his background.

Jen

kackle

TomHartmann said:
The record is still there as long as it is not sealed. For instance, you can find a record of Jesse Woodson James.

- Tom
OK

It seams to be sealed or unless I'm not finding the right sites to get the info. Do you know of any search engins that will come up with something? How would I know if his records are sealed?

Jen

Son of Slam

kackle said:
OK

It seams to be sealed or unless I'm not finding the right sites to get the info. Do you know of any search engins that will come up with something? How would I know if his records are sealed?

Jen
Go to the court houses and use their computers, not yours.

Kane

Arrest and conviction records aren't transferred automatically from courthouses to computers on the internet.

Those companies that advertise their services on sites like this hire people to go to courthouses, get the information, and then enter it in their computers.

If you go down to your courthouse, you might see one of them, sitting at a public terminal, and typing into a laptop. He probably makes minimum wage.

If your relative died some time ago, his "record" may not be on any computer at all, but in a giant book, in the basement of a courthouse, gathering dust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">