• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does U.S. Customs check for arrest warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gioberti

What is the name of your state? WA

If I have an arrest warrant for a DUI in the U.S. and I'm living in another country will U.S. Customs check for that when I'm coming into the U.S. for a visit?

S

shell007

From the OP's other thread:

I was pulled over for DUI in WA State after a holiday party and blew a .15. I've never had any problems with the law and never had a DUI before. I went to court and opted for deffered prosecution but what I didn't tell the court is that I've had plans to move to South America in April for good. What is the Statute of Limitations on this and will I always have the fines and a warrant waiting for me? What about my license?

If I have an arrest warrant for a DUI in the U.S. and I'm living in another country will U.S. Customs check for that when I'm coming into the U.S. for a visit?
I sure hope so!!!

I thought you were leaving for GOOD?

Gioberti

I know I sound awful, but I'm not a bad person I'm just desperate. I made a huge mistake one night and I'll lose an amazing job opportunity that I've been planning for since last summer if I don't go. Is an arrest warrant forever for this one DUI?

Some Random Guy

I hope your amazing job opportunity should be good enough to cover the cost of your lawyer and the fines. Get a lawyer in the county where you were charged and have him find out what can be worked out.

I'd suggest flying to Washington State and getting this taken care of well in advance of showing up for the job.

S

shell007

Some Random Guy said:
I hope your amazing job opportunity should be good enough to cover the cost of your lawyer and the fines. Get a lawyer in the county where you were charged and have him find out what can be worked out.

I'd suggest flying to Washington State and getting this taken care of well in advance of showing up for the job.
How on earth do people with DUI's, who have fled the county, who have warrant's out for their arrest, GET AMAZING JOB OPPORTUNITIES in the U.S.A.????

Sometimes...this great country of ours never ceases to amaze me!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Yes, they check for warrants. However, since it is likely a misdemeanor the chances are they won't be interested in extraditing you so WA may not issue it in to NCIC.

How does your new employer feel about employing people who are wanted and hiding from the law? Chances are that they may decide you are a liability and not an asset when this comes to light.

It is best to take care of the matter than run and never come back. Warrants do NOT expire ... and you will have no legal driver's license when you come back.

Oh, and before you think how miserably unfortunate things are for you getting a DUI here, check out the DUI laws in the countries of South America! You will find the punishments tend to be a lot more harsh than here.

- Carl

Gioberti

No, I'm in Washington State now in a deferred prosecution program but moving for my job in South America in April. I was wondering if US Customs checked arrest warrants for people entering and exiting the States. I'm ashamed of what I did, but I lost my job here because my license is suspended and don't have any money for all the fees and fines. Why wouldn't I go? I can take care of my problems here later

smutlydog

Gioberti said:
No, I'm in Washington State now in a deferred prosecution program but moving for my job in South America in April. I was wondering if US Customs checked arrest warrants for people entering and exiting the States. I'm ashamed of what I did, but I lost my job here because my license is suspended and don't have any money for all the fees and fines. Why wouldn't I go? I can take care of my problems here later

A friend of mine was a little rude to customs agents in New York after returning from the Ukraine (wife shopping). He didn't like the way they were scattering the contents of his suite case while searching. They did a background check on him and found a FTA warrant. This had to do with a previous DWI. He was bounced around from county to county before arriving in Texas.

Some Random Guy

OK,

So the story is now that you are still in the US, but plan on leaving and then maybe coming back. You say "I went to court and opted for deffered prosecution but what I didn't tell the court is that I've had plans to move to South America in April for good."

Well its not april yet - have you abided by the terms of this deferred prosecution? Paid your fines and such? Or have you already blown them off and gotten a warrant for your arrest.

You will be much better off to fulfill your current obligation than to screw it up and get a warrant out for your arrest - which gives you a good chance of being arrested at the border.

S

shell007

Some Random Guy said:
OK,

So the story is now that you are still in the US, but plan on leaving and then maybe coming back. You say "I went to court and opted for deffered prosecution but what I didn't tell the court is that I've had plans to move to South America in April for good."

Well its not april yet - have you abided by the terms of this deferred prosecution? Paid your fines and such? Or have you already blown them off and gotten a warrant for your arrest.

You will be much better off to fulfill your current obligation than to screw it up and get a warrant out for your arrest - which gives you a good chance of being arrested at the border.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who got confused there for a minute. I thought the guy was already out of the country trying to get back IN.

Gioberti

I guess I haven't been clear. Yes, I'm still in the deferred prosecution program in WA and I plan to fulfill as many hours as I can before I leave, but WA State requires about 9 months total with 2 years monthly check up. I also plan on selling my car because then and only then will I have the money to pay the fines. My concern is that now that I've been in the DP program can I up and ask the court to forget it and charge me with the DUI? Can I continue a program in S. America? Will they likely report me to NICI? What's my recourse?

CdwJava

Your recourse is to either work with the probation department to fulfill your obligations, or face the possibility of being a fugitive. They are NOT going to permit you to transfer your probation in a South American country where they have no jurisdiction. They MAY allow you to change to informal probation after you have paid off your fines and other obligations so that all you have to do is keep your nose clean for a year or so and you won't have to check in at all.

Of course, you DO realize, that in South American countries if you break the law, you don't get all these rights that you do here. A DUI there would likely land you in jail until family could pay your fines and damages, and likely pay the state for your incarceration in an unhealthy pit. No probation or deferred adjudication for the most part ... just something to keep in mind.

- Carl

Gioberti

Thank you for the advice, possible options are starting to come into focus. I'll talk to my probation officer. (P.S.: I did get a DUI, but that doesn't mean that I make a habit out of drinking and driving, quite the opposite believe it or not. I made a mistake like we all do at one point and am learning from it)

acmb05

Gioberti said:
I guess I haven't been clear. Yes, I'm still in the deferred prosecution program in WA and I plan to fulfill as many hours as I can before I leave, but WA State requires about 9 months total with 2 years monthly check up. I also plan on selling my car because then and only then will I have the money to pay the fines. My concern is that now that I've been in the DP program can I up and ask the court to forget it and charge me with the DUI? Can I continue a program in S. America? Will they likely report me to NICI? What's my recourse?
I dont see whay they would report you to NICI. According to my internet search she is an Exotic Babe Built Like Barbie with Round Oversized Breasts and Half Inch Ni***es
from Australia.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">