• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpmywife

What is the name of your state? WA

My wife hit me (domestic assault) while attending a class reunion. She was very drunk which is something she does not do. She has no recollection of the whole incident. In fact she was also charged with disorderly conduct (kind of hit an officer). She was somewhat crazed, I am not so sure someone didn't slip her something. She has court Monday should she have a lawyer for the arraignment or can we wait until after? She can neither confirm her innocents or deny do to her lack of memory

Happy Trails

helpmywife said:
What is the name of your state? WA

My wife hit me (domestic assault) while attending a class reunion. She was very drunk which is something she does not do. She has no recollection of the whole incident. In fact she was also charged with disorderly conduct (kind of hit an officer). She was somewhat crazed, I am not so sure someone didn't slip her something. She has court Monday should she have a lawyer for the arraignment or can we wait until after? She can neither confirm her innocents or deny do to her lack of memory
So is she being charged with two offenses or only the disorderly conduct charge?

If you have the code/s of the violation/s that would also be helpful.

helpmywife

Helpmywife

She has been charged with both; assault 4 and disorderly conduct. She has never been arrested or cited for anything like this, this is one time thing.

What do you think will happen to her? I am not pressing charges, but I was told that it doesn't come from me it comes from the PD. As far as the DC charge it stemmed from her mouthing off to the police then shoving one. Mind you we are not the kind of people that ever get involved with things like this so we have no idea what is going on. We also have a "no-contact order", but that is unrealistic we're married, work and raise kids together.

CdwJava

The no contact order is going to be a problem. Even if you allow her back into the home, so long as the order is in place SHE can go to jail regardless of your desires.

She needs to speak to a criminal defense attorney today.

- Carl

Happy Trails

helpmywife said:
She has been charged with both; assault 4 and disorderly conduct. She has never been arrested or cited for anything like this, this is one time thing.

What do you think will happen to her? I am not pressing charges, but I was told that it doesn't come from me it comes from the PD. As far as the DC charge it stemmed from her mouthing off to the police then shoving one. Mind you we are not the kind of people that ever get involved with things like this so we have no idea what is going on. We also have a "no-contact order", but that is unrealistic we're married, work and raise kids together.
It sounds like things escalated and did get out of control. As far as someone slipping her a drug or something, you will not have any proof of that.

From Washington statutes:

RCW 9A.36.041
Assault in the fourth degree.

(1) A person is guilty of assault in the fourth degree if, under circumstances not amounting to assault in the first, second, or third degree, or custodial assault, he or she assaults another.

(2) Assault in the fourth degree is a gross misdemeanor.

--------------------

RCW 9A.20.021
Maximum sentences for crimes committed July 1, 1984, and after.

2) Gross misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a gross misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than one year, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than five thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

-----------------

RCW 9A.84.030
Disorderly conduct.

(1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if he:

(a) Uses abusive language and thereby intentionally creates a risk of assault; or

(b) Intentionally disrupts any lawful assembly or meeting of persons without lawful authority; or

(c) Intentionally obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic without lawful authority.

(2) Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor.

---------------------

RCW 9A.20.021
Maximum sentences for crimes committed July 1, 1984, and after.

(3) Misdemeanor. Every person convicted of a misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than ninety days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than one thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

----------------

She does need a lawyer in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">