• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double Jeopardy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimmccann

What is the name of your state?undefined Tennessee

I have just received an Order of Protection (civil procedure) under the new stalking rule against an individual.

I filed a police report regarding all of the incidents in preparation for taking out a criminal stalking warrant.

My question is would that be considered double jeopardy? Are there not provisions for filing something under civil and criminal? She did not receive any 'punishment' for the Order of Protection, except being told to stay away from myself and my daughter.

Thank you for your input.

BelizeBreeze

kimmccann said:
What is the name of your state?undefined Tennessee

I have just received an Order of Protection (civil procedure) under the new stalking rule against an individual.

I filed a police report regarding all of the incidents in preparation for taking out a criminal stalking warrant.

My question is would that be considered double jeopardy? Are there not provisions for filing something under civil and criminal? She did not receive any 'punishment' for the Order of Protection, except being told to stay away from myself and my daughter.

Thank you for your input.
That's what an order of protection is...being told to stay away. It is not being tried in a court of law with jeopardy attaching.

There has been no attachment of jeopardy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">