• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving on Suspended -- two counts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmaringouin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I have a 2006 traffic violation that has become a fiasco. I was pulled over for a seatbelt and didn't have proof of license or insurance. Even though I had a license at the time and could prove it, I did not have, nor could I afford insurance nor the $700 fee for not having it, so never fixed it. This ticket of course turned into warrants, suspensions and everything else. When I tried to finally fix it, i found out that it had been turned over to collections in the amount of $1800. Non-negotiable, so I've had no choice but drive illegally. Recently I was stopped (July 2009) and got a 14601.1 Driving on a suspended license. They took my car and impounded it permanently (lost the car) and set a court date for next week. I am now 2500 miles away having had to move in with family because I can't work without a car or license. I could get myself to California to appear but it would cost me all the money I have. It's likely I could go out there and have the result be not getting any kind of driving priviledge back as it will be mountain of money I don't have. (1800 plus whatever fines are incurred on the misdemeanor) Is there a state I can flee to to get a license? Is there a way to apply for hardship license? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!

outonbail

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I have a 2006 traffic violation that has become a fiasco. I was pulled over for a seatbelt and didn't have proof of license or insurance. Even though I had a license at the time and could prove it, I did not have, nor could I afford insurance nor the $700 fee for not having it, so never fixed it. This ticket of course turned into warrants, suspensions and everything else. When I tried to finally fix it, i found out that it had been turned over to collections in the amount of $1800. Non-negotiable, so I've had no choice but drive illegally.
You have a choice,,,, it's between a bicycle and the bus.
Recently I was stopped (July 2009) and got a 14601.1 Driving on a suspended license. They took my car and impounded it permanently (lost the car) and set a court date for next week. I am now 2500 miles away having had to move in with family because I can't work without a car or license.
Sooner or later your family will grow tired of you freeloading off of them while feeling sorry for yourself. You will have to take care of this sooner or later. So, why postpone the inevitable?
I could get myself to California to appear but it would cost me all the money I have.
Then i suggest you be there on your scheduled date to appear.
It's likely I could go out there and have the result be not getting any kind of driving priviledge back as it will be mountain of money I don't have. (1800 plus whatever fines are incurred on the misdemeanor)
While no one can say for certain what the judge will do when you appear before him/her. I can tell you what will happen if you do not appear. A bench warrant will be issued for your arrest.
Is there a state I can flee to to get a license?
No. You can flee to another country. How many languages do you speak?
Is there a way to apply for hardship license? HELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!
You need to take care of all your problems like an adult. Face them head on and work toward resolving them so you can move on with your life. Running will do nothing but get you deeper in debt while adding a warrant for your arrest on top of your financial troubles.

If you can't afford the fine/penalty, ask the judge if you can serve straight time instead. It's not like you will be missing anything or inconvenienced. After all, your only laying around mom and dad's house feeling sorry for yourself anyway. If you lay around in jail you will be taking care of your fines, you'll be fed three squares and given a bunk to sleep in.

ignoring the first legal issue caused your fine to go to collections and be increased to $1,800.00.
You don't want to make the same mistake again do you?

garrula lingua

Outonbail gave great advice.

The norm is a fine for the first 14601.1 and 10 days county jail for the second count of 14601.1. If you opt to do jail time and the jails are over-crowded, you'll probably be released in about two days (esp in L.A. county).

Go back. Take care of business. If you show up at court with a driver's license (or ask for a continuance to get your license), they may drop one count and or reduce the charge to a 12500, driving without your license on you, with a small fine. That way, you accomplish your goal of cleaning up your act & getting your license & reducing the sentence also.

Last edited:

jmaringouin

Outonbail gave great advice.

The norm is a fine for the first 14601.1 and 10 days county jail for the second count of 14601.1. If you opt to do jail time and the jails are over-crowded, you'll probably be released in about two days (esp in L.A. county).

Go back. Take care of business. If you show up at court with a driver's license (or ask for a continuance to get your license), they may drop one count and or reduce the charge to a 12500, driving without your license on you, with a small fine. That way, you accomplish your goal of cleaning up your act & getting your license & reducing the sentence also.

thanks for this real and non-judgemental advice. amazing that people immediately think this sort of thing could only be about irresponsibility as opposed to economic hardship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">