• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drop Fellony Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Concerned pop

What is the name of your state? Georgia
If a vehicle that was reported stolen, the police were notified and issued a warrant, can the charges be dropped if the vehicle is returned and the owner requests the charges dropped?What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Georgia
If a vehicle that was reported stolen, the police were notified and issued a warrant, can the charges be dropped if the vehicle is returned and the owner requests the charges dropped?What is the name of your state?
Depends...How did you get the car back? Who took it?

Concerned pop

Concerned Pop

The vehicle was taken by an employee (my son), returned to the owned by my son approximately 10 days later. The police were notified and a warrant issued.

Concerned pop

Senior Judge, my question is that the vehicle owner has stated that he would ask the police to drop the charges. I do not know if that can be done, once the charges are filed with the police. :)

seniorjudge

Senior Judge, my question is that the vehicle owner has stated that he would ask the police to drop the charges. I do not know if that can be done, once the charges are filed with the police. :)
The charges can be dropped at any time.

The victim, however, is not the one to make that decision.

It is entirely up to the prosecutor.

Concerned pop

Dropped Fellony Charges

Senior Judge - thanks, that is what I thought. The victim has provided my son with false hope, which is preventing him from turning himself in to the authories.

moburkes

Okay. I'm confused. Why is this the VICTIM's fault, that your son STOLE his vehicle, and didn't return it for 10 days, and now doesn't want justice to move quickly?

MAYBE, the victim thought he could "drop" charges. Many people think, expecially domestic violence victims, that they can do this.

Concerned pop

Dropped Fellony Charges

I appologize if I inferred it was the victims fault. The victim made the statement, that he would try to get the charges dropped, since the vehicle ws retuned undamaged. As I explained to my son; I thought only the prosecutor could decide to drop the charges, and that occurring was highly unlikely.
Appreciate your input, I am trying to get my son to turn himself in.

moburkes

I appologize if I inferred it was the victims fault. The victim made the statement, that he would try to get the charges dropped, since the vehicle ws retuned undamaged. As I explained to my son; I thought only the prosecutor could decide to drop the charges, and that occurring was highly unlikely.
Appreciate your input, I am trying to get my son to turn himself in.
So, he didn't provide your son with false hope. Apparently, he plans to call the prosecutor and try to talk him out of it. However, it is out of his hands.

outonbail

Of course he could always contact the prosecutor or DA and advise him that unknown to him, his secretary gave your son permission to use the vehicle, which he didn't realize when he reported the vehicle stolen,,,, if something along these lines actually did occur. Now to make up a story like this and get caught would be a stupid thing for the boss to do since he will be jeopardizing arrest for filing a false report, or interfering with a police investigation, or something a bit more creative, but along these lines.

If the boss refuses to appear at any trial your son may have they may not have enough to convict him on either.

So there are ways the boss can push the issue through, but none of them will make him look very good in the eyes of the police. The same police he may again need the services of at at some point in the future.

So it all boils down to, Does the boss want to make himself look bad and get a bad reputation with local law enforcement, when he would be doing so for someone who did in fact steal from him and start this whole legal ball rolling to begin with?

I don't think I would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">