• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dropped friend off where he shoplifted, is there anything for me to worry about?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sportychic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I dropped him off at this place where he got arrested for shoplifting on the spot. Is there anything for me to worry about because I was the driver of the car. I did go down to the police station for something and gave them my name but my driver I.D. wasn't checked.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I dropped him off at this place where he got arrested for shoplifting on the spot. Is there anything for me to worry about because I was the driver of the car. I did go down to the police station for something and gave them my name but my driver I.D. wasn't checked.
You could possibly be charged.

eerelations

You could possibly be charged.
With what? I don't understand...if OP was simply giving his friend a lift and had no idea his friend was going to shoplift right after he was dropped off, how can OP be held responsible for his friend's subsequent actions? Does this mean that if his friend took a bus to the place where he subsequently shoplifted, the bus driver could be charged with shoplifting too? This seems very odd to me.

OHRoadwarrior

With what? I don't understand...if OP was simply giving his friend a lift and had no idea his friend was going to shoplift right after he was dropped off, how can OP be held responsible for his friend's subsequent actions? Does this mean that if his friend took a bus to the place where he subsequently shoplifted, the bus driver could be charged with shoplifting too? This seems very odd to me.
OP did not claim to have no knowledge until after OG responded. It does not matter what OP tells us, it matters what statement they gave police.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He could be charged as an accomplice depending on what theory and evidence the police have of the situation. And a bus driver is different than a friend giving a lift. How? The bus driver doesn't normally know everyone on the bus. We don't know what statements were given to the police, if OP was to pick up his friend afterwards, or even if he did have any knowledge of his friend's actions -- has his friend shoplifted before and OP knew about it? Where was OP when the shoplifting was occurring?

Notice I didn't say he would be possibly convicted. Just that he could possibly be charged. And yes he could be charged.

OHRoadwarrior

Im curious if this would require a statement from the op. As far as that goes I dont think the op should give a statement if they havent already.
Presumably, OP said something other than just saying "Hi, I'm sportychic." That is where the issue of whether she can be charged based on her assertion lies.

" I did go down to the police station for something and gave them my name but my driver I.D. wasn't checked. "

dave33

Did you wait for your friend? If so, did you wait right next to the entrance/exit door?

It would seem unlikely. What was the "something" you went to the station for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">