• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drugs found in search person not home.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

When police search a home and find drugs and the resident of the home isn't there what happens? Is a warrant issued? What if the person takes off, how long is the warrant good for?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

When police search a home and find drugs and the resident of the home isn't there what happens? Is a warrant issued? What if the person takes off, how long is the warrant good for?
What might happen depends upon the details. Depending on the nature and quantity of the drugs, a warrant might issue, or the officers may seek out the suspect and arrest him based on probable cause. Or, they might do nothing. Or, they might try and turn the suspect, or ...

Well, bottom line is that there is no crystal ball to say what WILL happen, and there are many possibilities.

So, if this is you waiting for the hammer to fall, you might consider two things: One, talk with an attorney, and, two, quitting your involvement with drugs. Getting clean and sober can be far safer and far more productive.

What might happen depends upon the details. Depending on the nature and quantity of the drugs, a warrant might issue, or the officers may seek out the suspect and arrest him based on probable cause. Or, they might do nothing. Or, they might try and turn the suspect, or ...

Well, bottom line is that there is no crystal ball to say what WILL happen, and there are many possibilities.

So, if this is you waiting for the hammer to fall, you might consider two things: One, talk with an attorney, and, two, quitting your involvement with drugs. Getting clean and sober can be far safer and far more productive.
I am clean and sober....It's my brother and I want him clean, so if he gets caught fine. I just want to know that if the cops don't find him and I can get him into treatment can they arrest him on this later....I don't know how much they found.

CdwJava

I am clean and sober....It's my brother and I want him clean, so if he gets caught fine. I just want to know that if the cops don't find him and I can get him into treatment can they arrest him on this later....I don't know how much they found.
Getting him into rehab could help in the long run, legally, and definitely couldn't hurt him, personally!

But, yes, they could charge him later on. Going to rehab is not a guarantee to avoid prosecution.

Getting him into rehab could help in the long run, legally, and definitely couldn't hurt him, personally!

But, yes, they could charge him later on. Going to rehab is not a guarantee to avoid prosecution.
His room mate seems to think that the police have a certain number of days to find and charge him or the search is no good. Is there any truth to this?

CdwJava

His room mate seems to think that the police have a certain number of days to find and charge him or the search is no good. Is there any truth to this?
Nope! His roommate has been listening to the same urban myths that have said for 50 years that an undercover cop must admit that he IS a cop if asked the question directly.

justalayman

they have, for most minor crimes, at least a year to file charges. Major crimes often allow for a longer period of time and some have no limitation. Once charges are filed, they have the rest of your brother's life to prosecute him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">