• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drunk in Public in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mosbybranch

What is the name of your state? VA VIRGINIA

Here's a fast story: Just 1 day before my 21st birthday, I got drunk in a night club. Spent a night behind the bar and released the next morning. I plead guilty in court for “drunk in public.” Paid $75 in fine.

Now, 10 years later, I’m questioning my rights.

(1) Was this a Misdemeanor?
(2) I requested for my criminal record through the Virginia State Police.. It said “no conviction data” What does it mean? Is my record now expunged??? Or was there a record??

seniorjudge

This sounds like a municipal code violation which is not techinically a crime.

If you know the number of the law you were charged under or could give us more info, please do.

Kane

I'm not from Virginia.

In my state, Public Intoxication is a class C misdemeanor - the least serious kind. It's the equivalent of speeding or running a red light. It's ordinarily a fine-only offense, meaning as long as you pay the fine you get out of jail. You don't have the right to have a court-appointed attorney, which is why you could have been sentenced without one.

These kinds of offenses are generally not considered to be very serious. The record you got probably only included non-fine-only offenses meaning, offenses where you could be sentenced to jail.

Which is why the it didn't appear on your record.

There is probably a record of it somewhere, most likely in the municipal court (or whatever kind of court it is) where you pled guilty and paid the fine.

mosbybranch

seniorjudge said:
I couldn't answer your question without more information, such as exactly what you were charged with and where (state, county, municipal, etc.)
Richmond City, Virginia. I plead guilty and paid the fine at City Hall is located at 900 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia.

seniorjudge

It sounds to me like you got a city ticket.

Municipal ordinance violations are generally not considered "real" crimes.

No.

(2) I requested for my criminal record through the Virginia State Police.. It said “no conviction data” What does it mean? Is my record now expunged??? Or was there a record??

You never had a criminal record for this offense (or, according to you, anything else).

mosbybranch

seniorjudge said:
It sounds to me like you got a city ticket.

Municipal ordinance violations are generally not considered "real" crimes.

No.

You never had a criminal record for this offense (or, according to you, anything else).
In the future, should I asnwer YES OR NO to the following question. Have you ever been found to be in any violation, excluding traffic citations?

mosbybranch

Also, will my city ticket (drunk in public) be cleared after certain years like a traffic ticket? Will my future employer discover my violiation when they do a background search? I do not live in Richmond, Virginia anymore. I'm in northern Virginia.

seniorjudge

Q: In the future, should I asnwer YES OR NO to the following question. Have you ever been found to be in any violation, excluding traffic citations?

A: Yes.

mosbybranch

seniorjudge said:
Q: In the future, should I asnwer YES OR NO to the following question. Have you ever been found to be in any violation, excluding traffic citations?

A: Yes.
This question on job application has not been helping me finding a job. How can I legally say NO to this answer?

cgpearce1

Drunk in public in va

Your Virginia record probably has been wiped clean after this time. It is a misdemeanor and will not show up on your record. However, for employment purposes to obtain a valid account of your criminal record you need to obtain your FBI criminal record. That will show things your local or state record will not, but the drunk in public will most likely not be on that one either. It has to be a serious offense to remain on your record (assault and batter, DUI, etc.).

Isis1

Your Virginia record probably has been wiped clean after this time. It is a misdemeanor and will not show up on your record. However, for employment purposes to obtain a valid account of your criminal record you need to obtain your FBI criminal record. That will show things your local or state record will not, but the drunk in public will most likely not be on that one either. It has to be a serious offense to remain on your record (assault and batter, DUI, etc.).
i'm not to fond of the smell of dead threads. can you not do that?

The Occultist

You really think the OP is checking this thread after FOUR AND A HALF YEARS?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">