• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Due Process Violation on 13 year old Warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DueProcess

What is the name of your state? California.

Hi,

I had several arrests relating to my substance abuse, between 1989 - 1993. The last included a sentence to California Rehabilitation Center for drug possession.

In 1993 I "ran" to L.A. from Stanislaus County and remained arrest free until April of 1999. At that time, police were dispatched to my home on the "P.A.L." warrant from Stanislaus County. At the time of my arrest, drugs were found on my person and I received yet another possession charge :(

I received alternative prison sentencing through the local drug court program on the new case and was in treatment (in jail) from April 1999 to November 1999, at which time Stanislaus County extradited me and I appeared in court on the possession/parole violation. I had massive documentation and support from the treatment center I was in, which satisfied the judge. I was granted time-served and discharged from parole.

I returned to L.A. and residential treatment. I spent a total of 201 days in treatment before successfully completing the program. During part of this time I went to school and got my Counseling certificate and went to work in the recovery field. I work with F.O.T.E.P. and prop 36 clients. I've received several "clearances" and input client info into the County system. Daily I work with various law enforcement, probation, parole, family and child protective officials.

NOW, 13 1/2 years later, I receive notification through the SSA that there is an active felony warrant issued for me. The "incident" occured June 10th of 1993 and the warrant was issued July 7th, 1993. It is for Felony Grand Theft (on a person). Apparently, I have a co-defendant .... who actually did the theft ... I was the alleged "get away" driver.

Of particular interest in this: my extradition, and subsequent court appearance on November 5th 1999. No holds were placed on me at that time and I was released free of any legal obligations.

I have contacted the court clerk in Stanislaus County and she had to physically retrieve the file from their archives before being able to give me any type of information/assistance.

After speaking with several people, I have been informed that this case possibly qualifies for a motion of dismissal based on Due Process Violation. The legal system failed to do any sort of "due dilligence" to locate and/or notify me of any legal proceedings pertaining to me. I have, at no time, been in any sort of "hiding" or attempting to avoid prosecution. I have been registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles the entire time and have had legal contact with police officers for a moving violation at two times since 1993.

I am curious if this is, indeed a case of negligence or a due process violation, based on the following:

The Fifth Amendment contains a guarantee of basic due process applicable only to actions of the federal government: "No person shall be... deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law...." (Indeed, this is the origin of the term due process.) The Fourteenth Amendment contains the same phrase, but expressly applied to the States. The Supreme Court has interpreted the two clauses identically, so under the federal Constitution, there is no substantial difference in protection from federal or State action. However, State constitutions also have their own guarantees of due process that may, by their own terms or by the interpretation of that State's judiciary, extend even more protection to individuals than under federal law.

Procedural Due Process
Procedural due process is essentially based on the concept of "fundamental fairness." As a bare minimum, it includes an individual's right to be adequately notified of charges or proceedings involving him, and the opportunity to be heard at these proceedings. In criminal cases, it ensures that an accused person will not be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.

and if so ... is it going to be necessary for me to appear in Stanislaus County Court or can it be resolved through filing writs, etc?

It is definitely a hindrance in both my personal and professional life. I need to take care of it asap ... and would like some advice as to my options?

Thanks.

D

Last edited:

CdwJava

DueProcess said:
In 1993 I "ran" to L.A. from Stanislaus County and remained arrest free until April of 1999. At that time, police were dispatched to my home on the "P.A.L." warrant from Stanislaus County. At the time of my arrest, drugs were found on my person and I received yet another possession charge :(
You had a PAL warrant? So, you absconded from your parole??

(For others - a PAL warrant is the term used for a Parolee-At-Large warrant sought by the Department of Corrections.)

I had massive documentation and support from the treatment center I was in, which satisfied the judge. I was granted time-served and discharged from parole.
Wow! Were YOU lucky!!

Of particular interest in this: my extradition, and subsequent court appearance on November 5th 1999. No holds were placed on me at that time and I was released free of any legal obligations.
That might seem to indicate that no warrant existed, but it could also mean that the warrant was not entered into CLETS/NCIC, or not entered under your name at that time. The fact you weren't popped does not mean that no warrant existed.

After speaking with several people, I have been informed that this case possibly qualifies for a motion of dismissal based on Due Process Violation. The legal system failed to do any sort of "due dilligence" to locate and/or notify me of any legal proceedings pertaining to me.
It is possible ... but you might still have to go to court on the underlying crime. It is an interesting question that I don't know the answer to ... if the warrant is quashed for lack of due diligence, does it then follow that the statute of limitations for prosecution has tolled? Since the only thing preventing it from tolling would have been the warrant, it is an interesting question as to how that might work.

and if so ... is it going to be necessary for me to appear in Stanislaus County Court or can it be resolved through filing writs, etc?
I'd recommend you retain an attorney. You may have a good case to get at least the warrant dismissed, but without an attorney you just might get it wrong. The charge is far too serious to be left to chance and amateur luck.

- Carl

DueProcess

Thanks

You had a PAL warrant? So, you absconded from your parole??
Yep .... "In 1993 I "ran" to L.A. from Stanislaus County and remained arrest free until April of 1999"

While I was up north, I was in nothing but trouble. Coming here and developing a support system of clean friends and co-workers is the best decision I could have made ... it just wasn't legal at the time ;)

Wow! Were YOU lucky!!
You're not kidding! The Stanislaus Court system sent me to CRC on my first possession/first felony case ... when I was still just a teen .... I was absolutely certain that I was going back when they extradited me. But ... the letters from the treatment center I was in .... combined with a whole lot of prayer worked. Either that, or the judge just didn't want me in his courtroom anymore ;)

That might seem to indicate that no warrant existed, but it could also mean that the warrant was not entered into CLETS/NCIC, or not entered under your name at that time. The fact you weren't popped does not mean that no warrant existed.
The warrant existed. It was filed rapidly. As mentioned earlier .. it was issued July 7th, 1993 (the incident occurred June 10th). It's been valid, under my name since that time. The court clerk just said that there's been several changes in their system since that time ... my case number hadn't even been converted to their new system. It wasn't even showing in her system until she did some special searches .. she came up with something that informed her that my records and the actual complaint had to be physically retrieved from the archives. When she returned my call the following day, she was then able to tell me what the charge was for and give me the court case # vs the warrant #.

It is possible ... but you might still have to go to court on the underlying crime. It is an interesting question that I don't know the answer to ... if the warrant is quashed for lack of due diligence, does it then follow that the statute of limitations for prosecution has tolled? Since the only thing preventing it from tolling would have been the warrant, it is an interesting question as to how that might work.

I'd recommend you retain an attorney. You may have a good case to get at least the warrant dismissed, but without an attorney you just might get it wrong. The charge is far too serious to be left to chance and amateur luck.

- Carl
I'm having a tough time with that. I tend to agree with you on the fact that the charge is too serious to be left to chance and amateur luck. But ..... I'm not that same person anymore. Having nearly 8 years "clean" now ... and working with the women and prisoners of FOTEP .... combined with working the 12 steps and my previous experience with the judge discharging me off of parole ... I'm fighting with the urge to "take it as it comes". I know that might sound weird ... especially to someone not in recovery. But nothing but good has happened to me since getting clean. I have no regrets ... everything that has happened to me has been something that I can use to help others ... and my heart is telling me that someday ... I'll be standing in an N.A. meeting sharing this to someone who needs to hear it.

So ... I'm just trying to see what options can be thrown out there. I've already got my "treatment judge" working on getting my old attorney to contact attorney's up north ...

I appreciate the reply.

Take care.

CdwJava

DueProcess said:
The warrant existed. It was filed rapidly. As mentioned earlier .. it was issued July 7th, 1993 (the incident occurred June 10th).
Issued and Entered are different matters. A warrant can exist in the local system and never be entered into CLETS/NCIC ... it is rare, but it sometimes happens by error or intent. So, just be careful that you understand you are talking about two different things here. If the warrant was issued in Stanislaus County, and you were HELD in Stanislaus County, then it would seem to be a very big "oops" that kept it from being served way back in 1999.

But ..... I'm not that same person anymore. Having nearly 8 years "clean" now ... and working with the women and prisoners of FOTEP .... combined with working the 12 steps and my previous experience with the judge discharging me off of parole ... I'm fighting with the urge to "take it as it comes".
I applaud your turnaround! It happens far to rarely. I am a cautious optimist ... I don't expect it, but I always pray for it to happen.

As for the attorney, it would be better to let a pro handle it. If it's easy, they can take care of it quick. Doing it yourself might result in something you can't undo. You have too much at stake to risk it.

I know that might sound weird ... especially to someone not in recovery.
Not at all ... I'm a friend of Bill W's.

So ... I'm just trying to see what options can be thrown out there. I've already got my "treatment judge" working on getting my old attorney to contact attorney's up north ...
Good luck.

- Carl

DueProcess

Thanks again.

Issued and Entered are different matters. A warrant can exist in the local system and never be entered into CLETS/NCIC ... it is rare, but it sometimes happens by error or intent. So, just be careful that you understand you are talking about two different things here. If the warrant was issued in Stanislaus County, and you were HELD in Stanislaus County, then it would seem to be a very big "oops" that kept it from being served way back in 1999.
That's interesting. I wasn't aware of the CLETS/NCIC system. That would explain why it shows in certain systems. I'm fairly certain that it simply isn't showing up in LA county at all ....

It failed to show up in 1999 as well ... both here and in Stanislaus County. But ... it sure showed up in the state system when SSA found it. Even Stanislaus County couldn't pulll it up initially.

Thanks for the info on that ;)

I applaud your turnaround! It happens far to rarely. I am a cautious optimist ... I don't expect it, but I always pray for it to happen.
Thanks. I didn't do anything but get tired .... and willing ;)

I hear what you're saying about cautious optimism. When I first began working in recovery ... I REALLY had to work on boundaries and developing a "cautious optimism" with my caseload rather than trying to "carry them" myself. I had several "heartbreaks" with them ... and had to develop a thicker skin. But the few that have made it through make it all worthwhile. As a matter of fact, two are now working in the same facility with me ;) I've learned that each person has to go through whatever it is they need to go through to become tired. Unfortunately ... some die before that happens.

As for the attorney, it would be better to let a pro handle it. If it's easy, they can take care of it quick. Doing it yourself might result in something you can't undo. You have too much at stake to risk it.
Agreed.

Not at all ... I'm a friend of Bill W's.

Good luck.

- Carl
Very cool ;)

And thanks .. much ;)

DueProcess

A Follow Up

I just wanted to let everyone know the results of this case.

I did end up acting on my "gut feeling" and went up North .... turned myself in to the court where they DID call the baliff and take me into custody. I appeared in court last Tuesday and .... an attorney wasn't even necessary.

The District Attorney actually filed the motion for dismissal based on the age of the case. I didn't even have to show my documentation or give details on my profession or anything else. The DA made the motion prior to me arriving in the court room. I was in the courtroom for all of about 90 seconds ... and the case was dismissed.

Miracles DO happen ;)

Thanks again to those who responded to my queries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">