• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI Bench Warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

montechristo303

Colorado

Okay so this is the deal. About a 1 1/2 yrs ago I got a DUI/marijuana possesion charge in Colorado (douglas county). I was moving out of the state and the DA offered me a plea, but said that I needed to bring him proof that I was living in NYC (lease) so they could treat me as an out of state offender and I could complete my drug/alcohol classes and community service there. I was scheduled to return for a court date which I never made due to some medical circumstances. I tried multiple times to get in touch with the clerk's office, mailed four letters, etc. I spent entire weeks on hold on the phone with the clerk's office trying to talk to someone about my situation. No one ever got back to me, and I stayed in NYC until recently. Now I moved back to CO and I am worried what the consequences of my actions will be. Can I expect jail time? Should I turn myself in? Also I don't have money for a lawyer so if anyone wants to do a pro bono case it would be greatly appreciated (we can work something out in return). Thanks for reading.

CdwJava

montechristo303 said:
any way to avoid going to jail?> I think I'd rather move to mexico than spend thirty days in county.
That would be a far worse sentence than 30 days in county lockup.

Heck, we have wanted felons fleeing to Mexico and then sneaking back across the border because they'd rather take their chances here then live free there.

Your call, amigo.

- Carl

montechristo303

only joking

so I'm only joking about going to mexico... but there has to be an alternative? I mean IMO the court system failed me, not the other way around. The DA is the one who told me to go to NYC first, and didn't return any of my phone calls or letters I sent.
I have every letter I wrote saved on my computer, will that help? I made an attempt to change the court date or come back but it was impossible.

I am a college student and I don't know when I will have "time" to turn myself in and go to jail for a month! I work full-time and will lose my job, will lose my apartment... my parents refuse to help me out and I don't blame them. this was my bad judgement and my responsibility to solve.

Also, I am applying for a passport (for a trip not running away)... Will this be impossible/held up due to this unresolved matter?

Thanks for your replies BTW

seniorjudge

I mean IMO the court system failed me, not the other way around.

The DA or judge or bailiff or janitor do not give a rip snort if you show up or not; it is up to YOU to make sure your case is taken care; not anyone else's duty.

When YOU left, YOU took your chances.

Go back and beg and plead but do NOT try to blame anyone else. They may show mercy on you.

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat.

Bathe and wash your hair.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and the ticket not go on your record, if applicable.

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this.

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">