• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI arrest with NO ALCOHOL or DRUGS just tired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

Fascinating how people who view a video can suddenly think they know how to conduct the FSTs or know what is to be looked for in HGN or VGN tests. They spend many hours on this process in the academy, and between 8 and 24 hours for specialized SFST training post-academy as a refresher of sorts. And for those of us with more specific knowledge, the training on the whole plethora is at a base of 80 hours and includes numerous field evaluations confirmed by positive tests.

Yes, if the officer is inexperienced, any one test - or maybe the whole battery - can be ineffective. But, in the hands of an experienced and trained officer, it is an outstanding tool.

tranquility

As I've mentioned to Carl before, I was trained by Dr. Tharp himself (The original researcher for development for standardized field testing.) in the early-mid 80's on what is now a standardized test. It was a three to five day course course for Drug Alcohol Recognition Training. (DART) But, the field test was the real focus as it was his baby.

While the documentation and reasoning for the tests took up much of the time (along with the focus on consistency), anyone who couldn't learn the FST battery in an hour is an idiot.

Clearly, more experienced officers are usually better. But then, they have numerous chances to take their observations and check it against the breathalyzer. (For us it was Intoxilyzer sumthin' sumthin') As in anything, if the officer sincerely tries to do the test and then compares his thoughts with the eventual results, he will get better.

But, knowing how to conduct FST is not something reserved for brain scientists. I suspect the number of hours needed for training is not based on the difficulty of the subject. (At least as to the FST for alcohol. I have no direct knowledge of the whole range of options available to what is now called a DRE.)

Fascinating how people who view a video can suddenly think they know how to conduct the FSTsl.
Im not called upon for expert testimony on the subject. :) Understanding a premise and being trained in a field are two different birds. Like I said. My own reasoning and observations are generally more reliable than your average keyboard jockey. That doesn't mean I will dismiss an experts or preoperly trained persons advice. Especially one that shares knowledge freely. Wisdom allows the ability to seperate the keyboard jockeys from the experts. I take you at your word.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">