• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Effects of an Arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lb1244

What is the name of your state? CA

I recently got arrested for a misdemeanor in Hawaii. I had something called a deferral in which I am on probation for six months and I could remain conviction free if I don't get arrested/convicted during this period. But I'm not sure as to whether I am considered convicted as of now? This is a little off topic but I was also wondering, that I am an adult, but can other people such as my parents could find out through insurance or something that I was arrested? Such as my rates would rise or something like that b/c I was arrested. In other words, is there any way they would find out. Thanks.

Last edited:

garrula lingua

Sounds like you entered a 'guilty' or 'no contest' plea and the Judge 'deferred' sentencing for the six months. Therefore, you are not, yet, convicted.

If you do everything the Judge told you, the charges should be dismissed in six months with no conviction on the record.

Law enforcement will still see your arrest and the subsequent dismissal under the statute allowing this disposition.

Whether anyone else can see the entry, depends on the charge...
Was this a vehicle code charge, ? a drug charge ? theft ? what was the charge ?

reyn562

Here in Florida, this is called a pretrial intervention, or PTI. It is exactly like probation, but if you meet the terms and conditions -- usually it involves restitution, community service hours, other special conditions, and possibly court costs. When those terms and conditions are met, and you do not get arrested for any other offense, your cases dismissed by the court and can never be prosecuted again.

If you have never been arrested for crime before this case may be expunged if you apply to the court and often pay a fee. But if you have this case expunged and are arrested for any subsequent crime you cannot have any future cases expunged, even in it does not result in a conviction.

While you are on PTI you do maintain your innocence, but you do relinquish your rights to a trial in this case. This is because you did enter a plea of either guilty or no contest. If you violate the terms of your PTI your case can be prosecuted and you could be placed on probation after conviction, which can permanently go on your record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">