• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

embezzlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usps3211

What is the name of your state? california
My son is 18 and was arrested for stealing $425 worth of merchandiseas an employee with Target. he signed a repayment plan with Target knowing what he had done was wrong, basicaly admitting to the crime and then was picked up and arrested at the store where he worked the same evening. He was released on OR awaiting arraignment court date(May 29th). he is still in high school(graduates June 13th) and had already enlisted in the marine corp prior to his arrest and is scheduled to leave for boot camp (June 18th). My son has a clean record and has never done anything like this in his life. My question is how likely is it that the DA, (Target-his employer) and his defense attorney(public defender) will work togehter to see my son is punished for his crime, but still be able to graduate on time and keep his boot camp ship date(provided his enlistment is still in good standing with the USMC). Will they consider these above factors and timelines in their judgement to enable my son to have a future and serve his community and country or will they not care. Based on all I have written do they look at situations like this with 1st time offenders to offer a viable solution for all parties involved or will the say "too bad you screwed up young man" and have no leanancy.

thanks,
Concerned father

JETX

My question is how likely is it that the DA, (Target-his employer) and his defense attorney(public defender) will work togehter to see my son is punished for his crime, but still be able to graduate on time and keep his boot camp ship date(provided his enlistment is still in good standing with the USMC). Will they consider these above factors and timelines in their judgement to enable my son to have a future and serve his community and country or will they not care. Based on all I have written do they look at situations like this with 1st time offenders to offer a viable solution for all parties involved or will the say "too bad you screwed up young man" and have no leanancy.
No one can accurately answer your questions without knowing ALL the facts, such as:
1) Any prior criminal history?
2) The individuals involved (complainant, prosecutors, judge) and what EACH of their predilection might be.
3) The skill of your sons attorney.

acmb05

Have your son ask his PD about Diversion and if he qualifies
Also inform the recruiter immediately about what happened. He can get a waiver if it is not a serious offense. This is assuming he is convicted or pleas to it. I would not worry to much about the military, they are hurting for people now and get waivers for lots of things just to get people to enlist.

Kane

June 18th is only a little over a month away. If he only just got arrested the chances he'll be able to dispose of his case by then seem slim. Of course, maybe justice is extremely swift where he lives, I don't know.

Were I his recruiter, I'd be concerned about inducting a guy who steals from his employer. But like acmb said, they're hurting for recruits, so maybe it won't matter. And who knows - maybe boot camp will be good for his character. They say it is.

If there's an argument for moving a case up on a calendar, going to Iraq is certainly about as good as it gets.

Were I his attorney, though, I'd be telling him it's worth putting off joining the Marines, if it means he can avoid a theft conviction. Those things never go away, and it will haunt you. Nobody likes hiring a thief.

Besides, the Marines are going to still be hurting for troops six months or a year from now.

garrula lingua

I've been told, by a recruiter, the Army will still take someone with a conviction, but not if they're on probation.
I don't know if the Marines are doing the same; all the forces appear to have reduced their standards - have him ask his recruiter.

If so, the DA can either do a petty theft 484a conviction & do some jail time or a fine, but no probation.
If you get an ex-military DDA, he may get an offer for a 415 misdemeanor (disturbing the peace).
He should
1. tell his recruiter & find out if they will take him
a) if he has a conviction for PC 484(a), but he's not currently on probation or,
b) if he's on probation for that conviction.
and,
2. when he goes to court will his recruiter come with him & tell the DA & Judge he enlisted ?
if not, tell him to bring his copy of his enlistment papers or his orders to report - every young thief is saying s/he enlisted & are due to go to Iraq (even skipping boot camp :rolleyes: )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">