• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emmigration and a Felony Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scuba_sammy

What is the name of your state? Colorado

In 1998, I was issued a felony bench warrant for 2 felony burglaries in Colorado. I understand how serious it all is, as I have been living with this warrant for the past 8 years.

My question is, does the government monitor international airline clients? I would like to simply get on a plane at an American airport and leave, but if there is a risk that I will just be picked up in the airport then I will find some other route, aka go to canada and take a flight from there. (by the way, I understand that I will probably never be able to come back through customs)

So in short... Can a person with a felony warrant get on an international flight out of the United States? Or, should I take a flight out of canada?

scuba_sammy

My fears are that in this Post-Patriot-Act America, anything is possible, let alone a little snooping into credit card purchases or airline bookings. But I would like to see what you all think about it.

- Scuba

JETX

scuba_sammy said:
Can a person with a felony warrant get on an international flight out of the United States? Or, should I take a flight out of canada?
Simple answer... this is not as big a deal as you think it is. Very likely they have stopped looking for you. I suggest you immediately march your criminal ass into the local police station and ask them for a 'permission to leave' form. They will more than likely review your situation and sign it.... thereby freeing you from your travel concerns. Heck, they will even provide the form for you!!
Done all the time. Nothing to worry about.
Enjoy your trip!!

You Are Guilty

JETX said:
Simple answer... this is not as big a deal as you think it is. Very likely they have stopped looking for you. I suggest you immediately march your criminal ass into the local police station and ask them for a 'permission to leave' form. They will more than likely review your situation and sign it.... thereby freeing you from your travel concerns. Heck, they will even provide the form for you!!
Enjoy your trip!!
Yeah - why would the US care about people leaving?? (Coming in is where they watch you!)

Send us a postcard!

scuba_sammy

JETX said:
Enjoy your trip!!
Hold on a second... Do you mean that I should walk into a local police station and say, "Hi, um I'm a wanted criminal, but... Can you sign this for me? I want to leave the country..." :rolleyes: I think they would pistolwhip me on the spot!

But what about the airline companies? Do they screen passengers for warrants? Or, do the security guys at the airport do background chacks on people? I *really* don't want to just walk into an airport (or a police station) and get picked up on the spot.

In any event, thank you for the responses.

Last edited:

JETX

scuba_sammy said:
Hold on a second... Do you mean that I should walk into a local police station and say, "Hi, um I'm a wanted criminal, but... Can you sign this for me? I want to leave the country..."
Yep. Based on your post, it is far more likely that they will just sign the form. Heck, they know you are planning on leaving the country. They would rather have you do that then spend the tax money putting you in jail and feeding you.

It's a felony bech warrant, so doesn't that mean that statute of limitations doesn't apply to me?
Nah.... the time to prosecute you has already passed.
Go on down to the local police station and simply ask for the 'travel permission form'. We used to sign them all the time when you say you are leaving the country... saves the county and state a HUGE amount of money!!!

Last edited:

scuba_sammy

Hmm. I am amazed that it is this easy.

Could someone point me towards a website that could give me more info on this?

seniorjudge

scuba_sammy said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

In 1998, I was issued a felony bench warrant for 2 felony burglaries in Colorado. I understand how serious it all is, as I have been living with this warrant for the past 8 years.

My question is, does the government monitor international airline clients? I would like to simply get on a plane at an American airport and leave, but if there is a risk that I will just be picked up in the airport then I will find some other route, aka go to canada and take a flight from there. (by the way, I understand that I will probably never be able to come back through customs)

So in short... Can a person with a felony warrant get on an international flight out of the United States? Or, should I take a flight out of canada?
Why do you think Canada (or any other country) will let you cross its border?

JETX

scuba_sammy said:
Hmm. I am amazed that it is this easy.

Could someone point me towards a website that could give me more info on this?
Unlikely that anyone would 'publish' this information for all. After all, if they did, everyone would know about it... and the courts would just shut-down with nothing to do.

seniorjudge

JETX said:
Unlikely that anyone would 'publish' this information for all. After all, if they did, everyone would know about it... and the courts would just shut-down with nothing to do.
**************...:D

You Are Guilty

Yeah, it's like applications for carry permits - they don't publish them on the internet; you have to pick them up in person at your local police station. Just make sure you have some sort of valid ID with you and you can legally enter any police station in your state.

Don't forget the postcard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">