• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee theft/paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aanubis

What is the name of your state? FL

I had a new hire of under 2 weeks who returned after the workday and stole a company vehicle. Charged with grand theft, resisting arrest, reckless driving, and leaving scene of accident.

Has been charged and jailed. Must I provide paycheck, and if so in what manner since has been banned from worksite? May I keep paycheck toward damage to vehicle?

fairisfair

Yes you have to pay the employee, I would suggest mailing the check Certified RRR.

and no you cannot, without the approval of the employee, withhold the funds towards the repairs on the vehicle.

You can however, sue for those repair costs.

las365

Yes, you can mail the check to the home address he gave you. I don't think you should mail it to the jail, tempting though that may be.

I have to say, I've made some bad hires that I thought were doozies, but they really don't compare to this. Better luck next time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">