• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Background Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brusatory

What is the name of your state? California

A year ago, I was arrested & booked (fingerprinted) in Oregon for Harrassment. I had to hire a lawyer and go to court. Six months later, my lawyer pursuaded the guy to be paid off and had the charges dropped and my case dismissed.

Now I am looking for a job. Will an employment background check show up with this inccident that I was arrested but the case dismissed, or will it be sealed and have no offenses shown? I have not gotten my record exponged yet.

Thanks for any comments.What is the name of your state?

magic55

Unless you were convicted you have no criminal record.

You shouldnt have to report it when you apply for a job.

JETX

brusatory said:
Will an employment background check show up with this inccident that I was arrested but the case dismissed, or will it be sealed and have no offenses shown? I have not gotten my record exponged yet.
The CORRECT answer is.. Yes.
The dismissal of the charge will only show that the case was disposed "charges dropped".
The arrest will still show on a full record search.

CdwJava

If you will be looking for a job in CA, employers cannot ask about arrests - only convictions (the exception being law enforcement and certain government positions). So, if you were only arrested in OR then you would not have to disclose it on an application here.

However, if your employer does a significant background check OR they hire a company that checks public records in OR, they may find a record of the court action. So, keep in imd the possiblity that they might get the information if they make an effort.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">