• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this Entrapment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GingerKid

My friends and I are hanging out in my car in the parking lot of where we always hang out when a car pulls up infront of us and another one pulls up beside it, the guy in the second car starts yelling at the girl in the first car to get in, she gets into the second car and they drive off, she leaves her car on, unlocked, and the lights were on, im sitting in my car and my friend goes and looks at her car there is a big box, he tells us and i, not thinking go and take it out, i put it in the back of my truck and right when i do that, 8 cop cars swarm my car. and im arrested. the police tell me i have been caught in a theft sting.

i have never been arrested in my life, i wouldnt have done it if the car was not on, so is this entrapment?

i live in california

BelizeBreeze

My friends and I are hanging out in my car in the parking lot of where we always hang out when a car pulls up infront of us and another one pulls up beside it, the guy in the second car starts yelling at the girl in the first car to get in, she gets into the second car and they drive off, she leaves her car on, unlocked, and the lights were on, im sitting in my car and my friend goes and looks at her car there is a big box, he tells us and i, not thinking go and take it out, i put it in the back of my truck and right when i do that, 8 cop cars swarm my car. and im arrested. the police tell me i have been caught in a theft sting.

i have never been arrested in my life, i wouldnt have done it if the car was not on, so is this entrapment?

i live in california
No, it's the police catching a thief :D

CdwJava

Didn't you just delete this thread?!?!

Here was my original response with your replies:

Were the businesses open or closed? If the businesses were closed, did you have permission to be there? yes they were open and i was allowed to be there

What were you arrested for? (What charges? ... code sections if you have them.) grand theft

Sorry, but 8 cops didn't just swoop in and arrest you for stealing a box. It sounds like they were either responding en masse to something, or there was much more to this tale as they were waiting for something to take place ... perhaps, a big dope deal? it was a theft sting, sorry i accidentally left that part out

What were the charges? Grand theft Do you have a prior criminal history? no

Given this information, I have to ask: Why would they run a theft sting against you and your pals? Is there a lot of stuff going down in the parking lot?

Oh, and what was in the box? It had to have been worth $400 or more. Grand Theft is a felony (PC 487).

However, as it is, NOTHING in your post gives any indication that you were induced to commit a crime that you otherwise would not commit. It sounds like you saw an opportunity for a freebie and you took it. Is there something I'm missing?

- Carl

CdwJava

BelizeBreeze said:
seems the liars and criminals just don't get it :rolleyes:
It wasn't fair, don't ya know. The police have to give warnings ... they just can't make it easy to steal! It's just not fair, I tell ya! ;)

- Carl

BelizeBreeze

NOTIcE TO THIEVE:

This car is owned by the [insert city] Police department. We are using it in a sting operation to catch you. If you do NOT take the box inside we will sue you for failure to assist law enforcement in the legal exercise of authority.

If you DO take the box, we will arrest you for theft.

Why are we Telling you this? SURPRISE...you just got PUNKED :D:D:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">