• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

European Student on Work&Travel program for the summer of 2009 in USA was arrested..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petia_su

European Student on Work&Travel program for the summer of 2009 in USA was arrested..

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Maryland.

Hi, a friend of mine went to Ocean city, MD on a work & travell program this summer and had an accident with a girl (they had an argument and my friend pushed her). He didn't hurt her, but she decided to sue him. My friend didn't go to the court because he was going back to europe in a few days. So he didn't follow that and he was arrested.. He was questioned there and then they let him go. The thing is that he is that he had to leave the country, because his visa was about to expire.

Could you please tell me what could happened with him if he decides to go back to USA and work in Ocean City next summer? Is he gonna be arrested or are they gonna put him in the Jail for not showing at the court if that case wasn't closed?
Thank you for the advice!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Hi, a friend of mine went to Ocean city, MD on a work & travell program this summer and had an accident with a girl (they had an argument and my friend pushed her). He didn't hurt her, but she decided to sue him. My friend didn't go to the court because he was going back to europe in a few days. So he didn't follow that and he was arrested.. He was questioned there and then they let him go. The thing is that he is that he had to leave the country, because his visa was about to expire.

Could you please tell me what could happened with him if he decides to go back to USA and work in Ocean City next summer? Is he gonna be arrested or are they gonna put him in the Jail for not showing at the court if that case wasn't closed?
Was he meant to attend a hearing after he was arrested?

petia_su

answere..

All I know is they needed to talk to the witnessess, who were his friends. They didn't have the time to talk to them because all of them went back to Europe so we don't know what happened afterwords. He was arrested because they were sedning him letters which he never got, to go to the court or the police, the guy doesn't know. The girl infact didn''t have any witnessess on her side anyway. And untill the time of the witnessess came to be questoned there were no any in the country unfortunateley. Oterwise the witnessess were gonna defend the guy.

Proserpina

All I know is they needed to talk to the witnessess, who were his friends. They didn't have the time to talk to them because all of them went back to Europe so we don't know what happened afterwords. He was arrested because they were sedning him letters which he never got, to go to the court or the police, the guy doesn't know. The girl infact didn''t have any witnessess on her side anyway. And untill the time of the witnessess came to be questoned there were no any in the country unfortunateley. Oterwise the witnessess were gonna defend the guy.
Your friend perhaps needs to speak with an attorney - he was arrested and even if he wasn't convicted this may prevent him from obtaining another permit next year.

Otherwise all he can really do is check the local court records to see if there has been any resolution of the case; he can also check to see if there are any outstanding warrants. Nobody can predict what may or may happen next year, I'm sorry.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

he didn't have an accident with a girl -- he assaulted her. Most likely there is a warrant for his arrest. May he not be able to return to this country without being arrested. And how did the girl sue him? Or did she file a criminal complaint? See, in this country you can't legally put your hands on someone else. That is a crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">