• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carlton2005

What is the name of your state? California
I am being charged with possession of stolen property, namely a generator. During the pre-trial hearing I learned that the sheriff no longer has the generator. It was shipped to New Orleans for "Katrina Relief". Shouldn't the sheriff have to keep the evidence until after a conviction in the case? Can I be prosecuted without the evidence?

CdwJava

carlton2005 said:
What is the name of your state? California
I am being charged with possession of stolen property, namely a generator. During the pre-trial hearing I learned that the sheriff no longer has the generator. It was shipped to New Orleans for "Katrina Relief". Shouldn't the sheriff have to keep the evidence until after a conviction in the case? Can I be prosecuted without the evidence?
It was not a good idea to send the evidence away, but you could - theoretically - be tried without it. If they have the item properly documented and identified, then it should not present a great problem to the prosecution. The defense would have to argue that the item in question was not the item seized, or, that it was not stolen (or that the defendant had no way of knowing it was stolen).

Speak to your attorney. he will know the details of the case and how much damage this might be to the prosecution ... if any damage at all.

- Carl

racer72

I would like to know what the legal owner of the generator thinks about the police giving his property away.

CdwJava

racer72 said:
I would like to know what the legal owner of the generator thinks about the police giving his property away.
It's also possible that the owner no longer has ownership of the property (due to an insurance pay-out), or, they gave permission to ship it out.

Or, the story about it being shipped away is bogus.

- Carl

garrula lingua

A lot of stolen property is returned to the victims and not present during trial. (What stolen car is present during trial ?) Cops take pictures and return the mdse. (In shoplifting cases, the mdse is usu recovered by the store & prosecution goes forward, based on testimony.)

Testimony, from cops as to serial numbers (or license plate #, etc.) of items recovered; from owners, as to their righteous possession of that specific item, and the fact that they did not give permission to yoyo to use, possess, drive or sell, etc. that article = proof at trial.

Yoyo can take the stand and testify that the cops aren't telling the truth; the victim/owner isn't telling the truth, and the jury can decide.

OP: present your defense to the jury. Saying the cops stole my stolen articles isn't a defense - it's an accusation for another case. As Carl said, the owner may have given permission for donaton of the generator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">