• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex arrested trying to sell stolen item from my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Auton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

my home was broken into a few months ago. I found one of the items on local Craigslist and contacted the police, they were able to meet up with the person selling the item, when they were able to confirm it was the item stolen from my house by the serial number they arrested the person, it was my ex-husband.
I had suspected he might be the person because the theft was very personal only things from my room were taken, nothing from the teenage kids not even x-box or tv from their rooms.
Now the police are telling me that the cannot search his house or storage space for the remaining stolen items because it is an invasion of his privacy?
I dont understand, he was caught trying to sell a stolen item from his ex-wife's house and nothing can be done? I feel like I have no rights.
Why cant they get a search warrant for the list of stolen items?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

my home was broken into a few months ago. I found one of the items on local Craigslist and contacted the police, they were able to meet up with the person selling the item, when they were able to confirm it was the item stolen from my house by the serial number they arrested the person, it was my ex-husband.
I had suspected he might be the person because the theft was very personal only things from my room were taken, nothing from the teenage kids not even x-box or tv from their rooms.
Now the police are telling me that the cannot search his house or storage space for the remaining stolen items because it is an invasion of his privacy?
I dont understand, he was caught trying to sell a stolen item from his ex-wife's house and nothing can be done? I feel like I have no rights.
Why cant they get a search warrant for the list of stolen items?
**A: what did the police tell you when you asked them the last question?

Auton

**A: what did the police tell you when you asked them the last question?

They told me he has an expectation of privacy and it would violate his rights, the only way they could search his private dwelling or storage space is with his permission with him present, they said even if the other stuff is found they still need consent from him and possibly a letter or statement about how he obtained them... this is a nightmare...

Last edited:

calatty

You're right, it doesn't make sense, if you've given the whole story. If they arrested him for possession of some of your stolen property, then they can get a warrant to search for more of your stolen property. They might just see it as "domestic" and not want to get more involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">