• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex employer accuses of theft....being asked to be questioned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Racerstodeath

What is the name of your state?
houston, texas

ok, i worked for this lady who owned two cell phone stores in the houston area for bout a month...she worked at a busy store A and i worked at not busy store b... at first, the verbal agreement was that all i to do was promote the store and she would pay for the advertising fees...after a few weeks, she decided on closing the store w/o any notice to me and asked me to return the keys... i returned it and thought it was the end of that...

a week or two later, she called me accussing me of going back to the store and stealing...stealling what i don't know... but now she reported to the police and i am to go in for questioning on next monday...

I just want to know like what are my legal rights in these questions... how long do i have to stay? Can i not go? just wondering if anyone has some experience like this that help calm my nerves...thanks

LSCAP

Either get a lawyer, OR AS SOON AS SOMEONE SAYS "You have the right to remain silent," SAY, " I want a lawyer." and nothing else.

Racerstodeath

the thing that scares me at this point is that i often transport phones from stores to stores and she can say i was stealing from her...but other than that i scared that i am gonna get arrested cuz of circumstantial evidence...

can anyone w/ experience of interrogation give me an idea of whats gonna go on...thanks...

Some Random Guy

What's going to go on is you're going to get screwed unless you have legal representation. She has accused you of theft and can easily manufacture evidence by just claiming that some phones are gone. You have no proof that you didn't steal anything. Talk to a lawyer.

Racerstodeath

can some more ppl give me advice on how to approach this... i don't know if i should lawyer up... the fact that she can manufacture evidence really scares me at this point.. argghh..don't know what to do...

somerandomguy... wont she need to have proof that phones went missing in the first place... 1. both stores doesn't keep running inventories 2. both stores uses the same inventory

in general, this case seems like its her words against mine...no video evidence (i told her cheap ass to install one but refused), no solid proof of item being missing, no witnesses, i don't have any item that can traced back to her

the only evidence i know of so far is the fact that someone entered the store, after i have already given her keys back, entered the alarm code...who the person was is still unknown...but that is only circumstantial evidence against me...

more advice please!!! what do i have during an interrogation?

Racerstodeath

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

I don't believe, for one second, that you could possibly have stolen anything. Do you want to know why?

IAAL
i'll be interested to know the answer to that...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Racerstodeath said:
i'll be interested to know the answer to that...

My response:

It's because you appear to be too god-damned stupid to steal anything. You have been told exactly what to do, in about three different ways, and you're still saying you don't know what to do.

That's why.

IAAL

Racerstodeath

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

It's because you appear to be too god-damned stupid to steal anything. You have been told exactly what to do, in about three different ways, and you're still saying you don't know what to do.

That's why.

IAAL
well lawyering up isn't much of a choice for a college student and jobless...thats y i asking for advice that doesn't need a lawyer....

basically i am trying to anaylsis the possible evidence against me and see if thats circumstantial enough to be arrested on... if so... then i'll see if theres a lawyer i can work with...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Racerstodeath said:
well lawyering up isn't much of a choice for a college student and jobless...thats y i asking for advice that doesn't need a lawyer....

basically i am trying to anaylsis the possible evidence against me and see if thats circumstantial enough to be arrested on... if so... then i'll see if theres a lawyer i can work with...

My response:

Look, once the police start asking you SUBSTANTIAL questions, then you have a choice - - either walk out of the interrogation room by saying, "I'm not answering questions - let me know your evidence, or I'm walking out of here", or if the police say, "You're under arrest", you tell the officer, "Fine. I want a lawyer here before any further questioning."

That will put a stop to that, and a lawyer will be assigned to you. Then, you can ask all the dumb questions you like to your new attorney. Then, after your consultation, questioning will begin again - this time with your assigned lawyer sitting next to you.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Racerstodeath said:
damn thats cold... just asking.... you don't have to be a bitch bout everything...

My response:

Bitch? Me?

I think that's the question you'll be asking your new cell mate, Big Bubba.

Of course you're the thief. It's quite obvious from your questions. And, the reason why you're too stupid be even be a good thief is that you won't even admit it here, despite the fact that you're completely anonymous. Also, you can't spell worth a damn. And you're a college student? Oh, please!!

IAAL

Racerstodeath

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Look, once the police start asking you SUBSTANTIAL questions, then you have a choice - - either walk out of the interrogation room by saying, "I'm not answering questions - let me know your evidence, or I'm walking out of here", or if the police say, "You're under arrest", you tell the officer, "Fine. I want a lawyer here before any further questioning."

That will put a stop to that, and a lawyer will be assigned to you. Then, you can ask all the dumb questions you like to your new attorney. Then, after your consultation, questioning will begin again - this time with your assigned lawyer sitting next to you.

IAAL
thanks for this information.. didn't see this before
and i was only asking if you were a lawyer so i can put more faith in what u say...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">