• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex police officer privileges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmkthedude

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Just curious.... Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this?

I had a little bit of a confrontation this afternoon over parking in a fire lane while picking up my girlfriend from the grocery store. This guy who I had the confrontation with (who was a real prick) identified himself as being an "ex- cop" and it kind of escalated to the point where we were both yelling at each other. The conversation ended with him telling me that he was going to "run" my plates. Do ex police officers actually have access to these records? Can he actually get someone he knows who is still an active police officer to run my plates? It sounded to me like the guy was just on a huge power trip and just trying to end the conversation with a threat, but I was just curious ...

Thanks in advance.

tranquility

Police officers tend to be outgoing. They make many friends, especially on the department, when they are working. Unlike Cinderella, those friends do not disappear just because someone retires or leaves. It would be easy for an ex-cop to "run" a plate through a friend.

However, it is illegal to use police information for non-police purposes. But with computers in cars now, officers run many plates each day. Running yours is not going to stand out. Besides, if the ex-cop tells his buddy about what happened, the buddy-cop *could* legally run the plate--if the story is good enough to require some legitimate investigation. Cops are great at telling stories.

Why are you so worried about having your plate run? Are you concerned he is going to stalk you?

rmkthedude

Thanks for the replies. No, I'm not worried about him stalking me (although this guy seemed like he had a few screws loose.) To me, this is just a complete missuse of power and a waste of tax payer money.

xylene

One time I was in Buffalo, and I was at the video store.

I was walking to the door of the store and in a cross walk.

This tool driving a souped up truck barrels down the road, and instead of yielding or not continuing to accelerate, he tromps the gas to accelerate markedly.

Like a pussy I skitter out of the crosswalk, and flip the guy off.

Of course he stops.

Now this guy is a total douchebag. Custom American flag paint job, veterans stickers festooned on this heavy duty Chevy flareside...

Guy says: "That's a big finger buddy..." and continues carrrying on...

I start to walk away, but I am real mad... so as I am walking the rest of the way to the store. I scream: BIGGER THAN THE DICK YOU GOT SHOT OFF IN NAM YOU TRUCK DRIVIN REDNECK."

His Reply: "I'd f'ing kill you."

My reply, still with back turned: "Get a tire iron out of you tool chest, that should avenge your honor. KILLLLLLL MMEEEEEE! KILL ME!"

His reply: "Watch your back you fing aggot... I saw your car and I know the Kenmore chief of police..."

Now I turn around: "What are you not man enough to beat me to death with a tire iron? Get some local loser cop to do it. Your a sissy. Come right in this store and bash my head in with a point of purchase display!"

And I turned around. Secretly I was praying that this guy didn't have a gun, because he was so angry he was purple.

Well he didn't kill me, or do anything. Just burned out his tires and hit the curb like a maniac and sped off.

It totally escpaed his notice that my only response to him menacing me and trying to run me over was to give him the finger...

So I faced down a psychotic veteran and his BS americana truck.

And he "know the Kenmore chief of police"

I am very confident EX officer maniac isn't going to do squat.

CdwJava

rmkthedude said:
Thanks for the replies. No, I'm not worried about him stalking me (although this guy seemed like he had a few screws loose.) To me, this is just a complete missuse of power and a waste of tax payer money.
What taxpayer money was wasted?

And why were you parked in a fire lane?

- Carl

xylene

CdwJava said:
And why were you parked in a fire lane?
Waiting to be verbally chastised by a retired law enforcement officer of course (read ordinary citizen (and jerk) who used to be a police officer OR some self important jerk who thinks its OK to play cop.

So this guy was a victim of

Phantom Badge Syndrome:
"It feels like it still there, but when I reach out and try to touch it or use it, its just not there. It hurts EVERY day"

OR

Badge Envy:
"I tell you I UESD to have one..."

CdwJava

My pet poeeve is handicapped spots. And i have had people almost go to fisticuffs when they observe someone parking in a handicapped spot without a placard or proper plate.

A person doesn't have to be a retired cop or a wannabe phony to get upset that someone parks illegally. They DO have the right to point out the foibles of others.

- Carl

rmkthedude

CdwJava,

I agree with you that I probably should not have been in the fire lane to begin with. Again, I was just picking up my girlfriend because I had just gotten off the phone with her and I was just doing her a favor. But I was literally there only 30 seconds when this guy started berating me. The way he approached me completely turned me off to even considering moving my car. He was completely abrasive.

My issue is not that he was offended by me being in a fire lane. I do understand that. My issue is that he took down my license plate number and threatened to have it "run" through the system because he was obviously having a bad day. That, in my opinion, is a missuse of power. The fact that he will have to go through a current police officer to accomplish this is, also in my opinion, a waste of taxpayer money.

CdwJava

rmkthedude said:
My issue is not that he was offended by me being in a fire lane. I do understand that. My issue is that he took down my license plate number and threatened to have it "run" through the system because he was obviously having a bad day. That, in my opinion, is a missuse of power. The fact that he will have to go through a current police officer to accomplish this is, also in my opinion, a waste of taxpayer money.
Well, as was mentioned he COULD have it run through the system for alegitimate purpose and you might be sent a parking ticket based upon his observation. I'm not sure of the law in Ohio, but I imagine there is a way that this can be done. If so, such a thing is neither a misuse of power (since he legally has none) nor a waste of taxpayer money (since it is what the police are paid to do).

Chances are he won't tell anyone anything and it's over. But as long as he is doing something legitimate with the information it is perfectly lawful and just as valid as if you got the license plate of someone parked in a handicapped spot and called the police with that license plate.

If he has a friend run the info through the system just to give this guy your name and address, then the involved parties will have committed at least one state and one federal offense. One coul dhope that the officers will be smarter than that - even for a friend. I know *I* wouldn't risk my career and freedom even for a friend who was a former cop, but there might be some who would consider it.

- Carl

rmkthedude

I understand. But let me ask you this: What prevents anyone from just calling someone else in? In other words, if a current police officer is not there to witness the alleged offense, how do they determine whether or not the offense occured or if the caller just has an axe to grind? Thanks for your responses.

CdwJava

rmkthedude said:
I understand. But let me ask you this: What prevents anyone from just calling someone else in?
Nothing. But, in every state I know of, making a false report to the police is a crime.

Like with any crime, citizen's have a right to report it. If the only requirement for a crime to be prosecuted was that the police witnessed it, then we would rarely have any cases going to trial.

In other words, if a current police officer is not there to witness the alleged offense, how do they determine whether or not the offense occured or if the caller just has an axe to grind? Thanks for your responses.
The police do not make that determination. They gather the information, seek evidence (if any) and then submit the matter to the DA's office for prosecution. If the DA believes the matter has sufficient weight to proceed to court, he files it with the court. Ultimately, a judge would maike the decisions as to whether there is merit (sufficient cause) and then a jury or a judge would decide if a crime has indeed been proven.

Some states may not allow infractions to be prosecuted in this way - mine does ... though it is rarely done.

- Carl

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
rmkthedude said:
CdwJava,

I agree with you that I probably should not have been in the fire lane to begin with.
Or, perhaps you meant to leave it at "I should not have been in the fire lane to begin with"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">