• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expectation of privacy during a traffic stop, or search warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX Methadone patients. They often carry a box that has their alloted take homes from point a to point b. It is a state requirement that these medicines be locked in a box that has a key, or combination in order to take them off the clinic. If one were to be stopped by the local police department, and had permission to search the car, would they be able to, search the box, or demand that that they open it. I know if its locked they would get a warrant if they felt they needed to, but does the fact that the box contains, along with the medicine, sensitive medical information about a person that they may not want to disclose to the county, or state make a difference on how easily then can search it. Also, if a search warrant is served on a residence, if the box is located in the general area that falls under where they can look would they be able to break the lock on sight, or would they need to get another warrant to open it. Lets say they are looking for a gun, drugs, or something else that can easily fit in a box.

FlyingRon

I've lost something. If you give the police permission to search the car, then they have permission to search the car. If they have a warrant, they are free to search within the constraints of the warrant.
A locked box regardless of its contents isn't going to engender any magic restrictions. If they have a warrant to search for a handgun in your house and the box is of sufficient size to hold that gun, they may almost certainly open it.
I can almost guarantee, that there's almost no reason to "break the lock" on the box. Despite your protestations, there's not anything on a portable lock box that can't be trivially defeated by a knowledgeable person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">