• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expongement questions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thenorm02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

a few years ago I was in a very abusive relationship. We got in trouble together and I was a first offender, never even had a parking ticket! anyhow I was arrested and charged with misdemeanor shoplifting. I was given a PTI (pre-trial intervention) and told that if I did not get in to anymore trouble then I could have my record expunged. I was not able to get out of the relationship and more bad things happned. I violated probation and was given 30days in jail. I got out of the relationship with help from my parents. I successfully finished probation and with the help of my probation officer, the prosecutor, sheriff and judge I got an expungement.

the problem now is that I went to get a records check for school, I am at college getting a degree to one day be a special education teacher, and my record came back denying that I could be in the program.

I called the GBI and GCIC and both places stated that they could not find a criminal background on my at all. I went to the police department where I live and they gave me a copy of my background check. I found the problem!

the problem is that the violation of probation was a seperate offence from the misdemeanor shoplifting and was not exponged.

I was told that because I served time that I could not get this exponged. is there anyone that knows diffrently? can I get this exponged?

I doesnt make sense to me that the first charge was exponged and the second charge, which is dependent on the first, stayed. because the second one is there with out the first is says status unknown instead of misdemeanor or felony (thats really the problem, I could be a teacher with a misdemeanor, but I really want it exponged)

should I hire a lawyer to look in to it? I am calling one tomorrow.
thanks for your advise,
Norma

dave33

You need to give complete information. When you say you got in trouble again, does that mean a criminal conviction? felony? Technical probation violation? If so what for? Also you say the second charge is dependant on the first.How so?

thenorm02

sorry about that, I though I have given all the details...it was a violation of probation charge. I had to spend 20 days (I think) in jail. I was just recently told that this was considered a seperate arrest from the first and most people I have talked to say that this doesnt make sense. it was considered a misdemeanor as well. I think I might have it cleared up but I have to double check on friday. thanks for your replies.please ask if you there are more details I left out, thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">