• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunge Mugshot & Fingerprint??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scotter1955

What is the name of your state?Iowa
A few years back I was arrested for Domestic Abuse because I argued with the Police Officers when they came to the house. My daughter called 911 from another house thinking I was fighting with my wife but in fact it was my stepson & wife.
I was taken to the jail for Mugshots & Fingerprints.
My wife has a few Judge friends that she contacted and explained the situation to them. They immediately signed the paperwork and got me release after 4 hours in jail. The case was completely dropped and not for public record or anything.
Can I request that the Mugshot & Fringerprint are eliminated from my records or is this stamped on my forehead forever.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

hassled65

I'm not a lawyer, but I am working on an expungement myself. If you have no priors, that shouldn't be a problem. I would hire a lawyer and do it that way. Go to the Iowa State website and see if they have Iowa law code on the website. Indiana does and I find it quite informing.

DRTDEVL

No, they will always remain out there.

Within 72 hours after ANY arrest, the law enforement agency is REQUIRED to forward your fingerprints to the FBI's criminal database, where it remains for eternity. All it shows is your name, date of arrest, and offense. There will be no explanation of the charges, circumstances surrounding the charge, or disposition (even if dropped, dismissed, expunged, sealed from record, or not guilty). This is not general public information, though, so you don't have much to worry about. It will be there for comparisons in other investigations, like murders, where fingerprints are taken. If you ever commit a serious crime in the future, know that you will be caught by your fingerprints.

The only people who can query the database is Law Enforcement, Deparment of Justice, or other Government Officials. Employer background checks will not find this, unless you require a security clearance. Then you will have to list the arrest in advance, as they will find your prints there.

Scotter1955

Oh Well on the Mugshot Removal

I guess I'll just have to live with it. My Office has access for IT purposes and I guess I'll live with the harrasment from my loyal buddies. :) Just thought it would be nice to remove since I was innocent. Of course everybody is, right??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">