• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement: Lawyer Versus Self

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanrector

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

Will someone have a better chance at getting an eligible record expunged if they go through a lawyer rather than filling out the appropriate paperwork themselves and applying? Or does it not matter?

Thanks!
Nancy

TigerD

Will someone have a better chance at getting an eligible record expunged if they go through a lawyer rather than filling out the appropriate paperwork themselves and applying? Or does it not matter?

Thanks!
Nancy
The answer is yes. Legal actions are usually better conducted with a lawyer.

TD

quincy

As a note: In Arkansas, your criminal record will be "sealed" (access to the record officially prevented) rather than "expunged" (record is destroyed).

Your criminal record will still exist but not as a public record accessible to all. Access to your sealed record will be limited to a select few and only for a few select reasons.

nanrector

Thanks for input

Appreciate the input. I knew "expungement" is a misnomer in several states. I mainly wondered what is the added benefit of using a lawyer if its only a matter of turning in paperwork.

TigerD

Appreciate the input. I knew "expungement" is a misnomer in several states. I mainly wondered what is the added benefit of using a lawyer if its only a matter of turning in paperwork.
Because legal issues are rarely a matter of turning in the right form and when they are, you still have to have enough knowledge to select the right form in the first place.

TD

dave33

Thanks!
Nancy
Every situation is different. If you took a diversion program or it's equivalent than it is most likely to be granted and may just be a matter of submitting the correct paperwork. If that is not the situation, you may want to retain an attorney as you have no idea what or how to make an effective case. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">