• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungement Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SkysAreBlue

Hi, I was wanting to know about something. I've heard that when entering Canada to visit, you would only have to disclose expunged convictions that Canada would search for in whatever criminal database U.S uses. In addition to that, I heard that most of the convictions would have to be either felonies or any other crime that was drug or assault related. So, if someone who was to be convicted of harassment, but had it expunged, would that person still have to disclose that conviction during a visit to Canada? Of course, I can understand if it was someone with that conviction who was permanently moving to Canada, but to just screen people like that on a simple visit based on insignificant cause is not only humiliating and a slap to the face to people who believed in second chances. Now, in cases of DUI or something serious like that, yeah, things like that should most certainly be disclosed. In fact, DUI should not even be a misd, it should be a felony, just like animal abuse should be.

Now, there's one more question that I need to ask. If someone was wanting to become a college professor someday, would there be any time in that person's career that he would have to disclose an expunged conviction? I mean, a professor may be doing important research, but if the government is wanting to access that research, would the professor need to gain a security clearance, thus having to disclose his conviction, to have access to his own research!?!?!?!?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">