• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

extradiction possibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patfrmokla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My adult son was just charged with 2 felonies. False information to a pawnbroker and larceny from a retailer (over 1,000). He has priors, but the last one was about 10 years ago. He moved to Kentucky about 2 months ago, prior to the charges being filed. There is no real defense for him as he used his DL and they have the security tape from the retailer. A warrent has been issued. The bond set at 8000. We cannot afford an attorney for him. If he gets stopped in Kentucky for anything, or if he goes to get a Kentucky DL, they will detain/arrest him? What is the probability Oklahoma would request extradition for these charges? With his priors would an attorney be able to work with the prosecutor for a deferred? He just got a job and so far is holding on to it. He has an apartment for the first time ever and has removed himself from the toxic lifestyle he was living in Oklahoma. I am hoping this is not going to derail any progress he has made. Any advice, besides hiring an attorney..:(

Proserpina

My adult son was just charged with 2 felonies. False information to a pawnbroker and larceny from a retailer (over 1,000). He has priors, but the last one was about 10 years ago. He moved to Kentucky about 2 months ago, prior to the charges being filed. There is no real defense for him as he used his DL and they have the security tape from the retailer. A warrent has been issued. The bond set at 8000. We cannot afford an attorney for him. If he gets stopped in Kentucky for anything, or if he goes to get a Kentucky DL, they will detain/arrest him? What is the probability Oklahoma would request extradition for these charges? With his priors would an attorney be able to work with the prosecutor for a deferred? He just got a job and so far is holding on to it. He has an apartment for the first time ever and has removed himself from the toxic lifestyle he was living in Oklahoma. I am hoping this is not going to derail any progress he has made. Any advice, besides hiring an attorney..:(

If he wants to progress in life, he needs to deal with the current charges and get them sorted out. Hiding won't help - it will make it much, much worse.

Others will stop by to respond. Hang in there.

patfrmokla

If he wants to progress in life, he needs to deal with the current charges and get them sorted out. Hiding won't help - it will make it much, much worse.

Others will stop by to respond. Hang in there.
I know...and he has accepted responsibility and consequences Iin the past, I am just hoping to avoid incarceration this time around so he can continue to work on the positive changes. I am concerned any jail time would be the final setback and I would likely lose him to the state. We have fought so long to get him the help he needs, since he was a young teen and roadblock after roadblock. Thank you for your response though. This tough love thing is so very hard!

Ladyback1

o

No one can tell you the likelihood of whether OK will extradite from KY.

Too many variables...

Your SON could contact the public defenders office in that region/area/county, and speak to an attorney.

FlyingRon

It's all a matter if OK thinks its worth their while to come get him. All it takes is some officer willing to take a road trip and able to get approval for it.
OK->KY ain't all that far.

xylene

I really think you need tell your son the truth, that he either faces up to this or he lives a life hiding from the state, police a government. A life hiding from the state is not a straight life.

You are doing your son no favors in figuring out the likelihood of extradition.

If he get caught up for any reason, like even being in an accident or witnesses something, his warrant shows and the put him in holding for 3 days or something while it is being mulled over, even if he isn't sent to OK, you think he wouldn't lose his job?

Ladyback1

the put him in holding for 3 days or something while it is being mulled over, even if he isn't sent to OK, you think he wouldn't lose his job?
It does not take 3 days to figure it out. It should say on the arrest warrant, whether they will extradite.

And it depends on whether the warrant is even entered into NCIC/national database.

HOWEVER, I agree that OP's son needs to step up and take care of his business.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I know...and he has accepted responsibility and consequences Iin the past, I am just hoping to avoid incarceration this time around so he can continue to work on the positive changes. I am concerned any jail time would be the final setback and I would likely lose him to the state. We have fought so long to get him the help he needs, since he was a young teen and roadblock after roadblock. Thank you for your response though. This tough love thing is so very hard!
If he committed two felonies recently, he has NOT made positive changes. He apparently is just better at not getting caught. Jail time would be a consequence for his actions. You need to realize that HE has made bad choices.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am concerned any jail time would be the final setback and I would likely lose him to the state.
He's an adult, he's not "yours" to lose and, furthermore, you need to blame HIM, not "the state", for his problems.

Just Blue

No. He has NOT "removed himself" from that toxic lifestyle. He is living it...apparently with your help. Do not hire an attorney for him. Let him deal with his actions. It's hard. But he needs to grow up and you are not helping him by bailing him out.

Best of Luck and all my Blessings to you...

Blue

xylene

It does not take 3 days to figure it out. It should say on the arrest warrant, whether they will extradite.
You really don't think people lose their jobs over missing work, for days, for getting arrested on a warrant even if they don't get extradited?

This very site is full of threads that say otherwise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You really don't think people lose their jobs over missing work, for days, for getting arrested on a warrant even if they don't get extradited?

Ladyback1 was saying that the warrant will state clearly whether or not they will extradite. It won't take 3 days to figure that part out.

Ladyback1

But, that's not how warrants work generally.
"John" gets pulled over for speeding.
Law enforcement runs John's license
And let's presume that the warrant shows up in NCIC.
Law enforcement contacts the warrant issuing agency, and gets an actual copy of the warrant (usually within minutes).
If the warrant is non-extraditable, "John" gets a ticket for the speeding, and sent on his merry way.
If the warrant is extraditable, "John" gets issued a citation for the speeding, and THEN is taken to jail to wait for the issuing agency to come and pick him up and take him back to OK.

People lose their jobs for unexcused absences all the time. I wasn't arguing that "John" would not lose his job. I was explaining that it does not take 3 days to "sort it out".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have had several clients lose jobs for being locked up for even a day or two.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But, that's not how warrants work generally.
"John" gets pulled over for speeding.
Law enforcement runs John's license
And let's presume that the warrant shows up in NCIC.
Law enforcement contacts the warrant issuing agency, and gets an actual copy of the warrant (usually within minutes).
If the warrant is non-extraditable, "John" gets a ticket for the speeding, and sent on his merry way.
If the warrant is extraditable, "John" gets issued a citation for the speeding, and THEN is taken to jail to wait for the issuing agency to come and pick him up and take him back to OK.

People lose their jobs for unexcused absences all the time. I wasn't arguing that "John" would not lose his job. I was explaining that it does not take 3 days to "sort it out".
Actually it sometimes does. I have had clients who have sat for three days waiting for someone to extradite and the agency then changes their mind and decides not to do so. Does it make sense? nope. But it happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">