• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragonblade14

What is the name of your state? Texas
I currently live in Texas and have so for the past 5 years. My question is this. I have a Misdemeanor warrant for Failure to Pay Fine in Arkansas (non violent theft of services aka: stealing electricity , went to court got a fine) (about 500 Miles away give or take 20 to 50 Miles) and I did not pay it due to my life was in shambles in that time. I have worked hard getting my life together and living in fear that Arkansas can and will extradite for this. Ive been told they wouldnt but am unsure (I am currently trying to save up some money to pay this off). Anyone have any idea if for not paying a fine Arkansas will extradite from texas?

garrula lingua

The big problem is that if you get pulled over for speeding or other small stuff, they'll probably see the warrant and hold you in jail for a few days until Arkansaw answers this question.
This would be very inconvenient if you're on your way to work & your car can be impounded (never mind if you have your kids - that's horrible),

&, if they don't extradite (probably won't- costs too much), the same scenario can happen over & over until the warrant is cleared up.

Drive up, go to court & ask for payments if they will allow the fine.
If it's jail time, at least you get to pick the time - put in for vacation before you go.
That part is up to the Judge.

dragonblade14

Ok some more information I have found out. As I said this happened over 5 years ago , closer to 5 and a half now. I went to court for the original charge , wich was theft of electric service , fined 700 and released. Well a short time after I left arkansas and started getting my life together. I found out that just last year 2006 Arkansas released a failure to pay fine warrant for not paying the 700. Now I am trying to save up money but a friend of mine says that there should be a statute of limitations somewhere there and that them waiting 3 to 4 years to release a failure to pay fine on a misdemeanor charge seems way past those limitations. In short I really just want this gone I have worked so hard getting my life turned around , it would destroy my family if I was dragged all the way back to AR on a simple fine warrant , and one on top of that they waited 3 to 4 years to file. Im not making excuses for what I did in the past there , I did do it , learned from it and have worked hard to stay out of trouble. Should I try to contact the prosecuters office and talk with somewhere there , I have tried to talk with the clerk but they seem unwilling to do anything except telling me send the whole amount and they will recall it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">