• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradition from State to State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ABigMistake

What is the name of your state? KY currently....originally Ohio

We relocated to KY about a month and half ago. The day BEFORE our move, I was with someone pulled over for speeding. My name was ran, and I found out I have a warrant for passing bad checks. First of all it was ONE check...and its not like I went around passing them on purpose. This was a check from almost 8 years ago that was for the grocery store, that happened to bounce. I did not have the money to make it right immediately after especially when you take in acct all their fees. Well somehow I forgot about it, and never received anything else about it.

Well, they recited me, but I did not go back to court. For one, I was here in KY, and another I do not have the money for it right now. I am doing my best to save up to pay them off...I do want to make it right. But what do I have to worry about in the meantime?

If I get pulled over here in Louisville, will they arrest me and take me back to Cincinnati for a misdemeanor? Another thing...about 3 years ago I did 10 days for a DUI. They did not hold me then for it either? That was just the county over...not the next state and 120 miles over.

I am worried because I just got a real good job here in Louisville and I do not want to mess it up.

Any advise is appreciated!

CdwJava

COULD they arrest and extradite you? Sure. WOULD they? That would depend whether Ohio wants you or not.

Keep worrying - it stays until you take care of it. Also, it will limit or prevent access to jobs, loans, public assistance, welfare, etc.

- Carl

ABigMistake

How could I find out if they would want me? Would it do me any good to call the police dept in Ohio and tell them my story? Will they even tell me if they would be interested in coming to get me? Regardless I am going to get it taken care of. I am worried...and of course will continue to be until I get this taken care of.

This is another weird thing...but also concern....The job I just left was an insurance co. They did an FBI background check and that did not stop me from getting that job. Do you think it even showed up?? My current job,. because in an airport, just did a fingerprint FBI check. Will that be any different?

CdwJava

The fingerprint check probably won't show up unless the warrant is for an FTA and it was entered into NCIC. If the crime was a misdemeanor, it is unlikely to have been entered in. However, if the warrant ever comes to light you could find yourself unemployed - it would be bad form for the airport to be employing a fugitive.

There is no way to know whether they will ever want to come and get you or not ... they might tell you, they might not. They might also decide next week that they are willing to extradite and enter it into NCIC.

In any event the warrant will be out there just waiting to be discovered ... and when it it, many bad things can begin to happen.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">