• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extradition and Warrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NotGoingBack

What is the name of your state? Indiana currently.

I had been planning a move to another state for some time, and fell off the wagon and got nailed. 3 counts of Neglect of Dependent a class D felony. Im wondering if theres anyway (assuming I get lucky enough not to have to do time) if prosecutors will work with you on where you serve out your probation? I know people have a hard time transfering it, but is it any easier to make arrangements before you start?
OR
Is there some way I can skip out and then contact an attorney once I get to the state Im going and have them work something out?
Which is the better route here? I have got to move and things are already bought and paid for.
Do they extradite for class d felonies?
Thanks for any and all help!

FlyingRon

Your ability to work something out AFTER absconding are much worse than if you make your request while still in good standing. Your current probation department will need to request the one in your new location to accept the transfer of the probation.

It's regularly done, but it can take MONTHS. However, if you are in good standing your PO may approve your move anyhow, subject to periodic check-ins by phone or whatever. However if you run out on him, he's quite likely to tell you to get your ass back to your home jurisdiction.

NotGoingBack

Thanks for the info Ron. I hope I can get this worked out. The whole reason for the move in the first place was to get some family help so I can go into treatment.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">