• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extridition for old petty crimes...what will happen???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurenamber

Lies, Crimes, and Extradition...I need your advice!!!

What is the name of your state? Florida, Virginia, AND Maryland.

About a year ago, I met my fiancee. We were both broke, he was staying from place to place, and I was getting out of a bad relationship. Well, we ended up taking an ounce of Marijuana from some kid he knew, with the intent to make a little money...yeah, we all know that's illegal. Well, the kid ended up calling the police and filing a false report, saying that my fiancee beat him up and stole 400 dollars in cash from him. By the time we got a phone call from the detective, we were already half way to florida in the uhaul (we moved down to live with my family). He told us to turn around, come back to VA, and "make a statement" Yeah right. Well, as soon as I hung up the phone with the detective, the kid who called the cops called ME! I told him I just got off the phone with the detective, and he said "Oh, crap. I didnt realize this would happen" The conversation ended with him saying he was going to call and tell them he was drunk and made a false report, so that my fiancee wouldnt get in trouble. And that, we assumed, was the end of that. We didnt get another phone call, nor were we contacted by any authorities after that. So we went on with our lives. We have been living down here in florida for the past year...working HARD to make a living.
Now, to get to the point. 2 weeks ago, we were involoved in an accident, and when the police ran my fiancees name, there were 2 active warrants for his arrest. So they took him to jail. I figured they were for what happened before we moved. I was at his first appearance the next day...2 warrants- one from Virginia for felony theft and violation of probation.
One out of Montgomery County, Maryland for stealing a bottle of liquor.
I had no idea why he was arrested other than for what we did before we left Virginia. Anyways, the judge said they would schedule an EXTRADITION hearing for him.
I went a whole week without being able to talk to him or get any answers from anyone. During that week, he had his extradition hearing, and he waived his extradition. The judge gave Maryland or Virginia 15 days to come pick him up here in florida. As of today, they have 9 days to come and get him.
Finally, I got visitation with him, and he explained to me that when he met me, he was on probation, but he had no way to comply with all the rules because of the fact that when he was released from jail he had no place to live or no job...I came into his life, things looked up for him with me around, so he did not tell me about his probation...he wanted to be with me that bad. He is stupid for doing this, but I love him even more for the fact that he did it for me.

Anyways, I am on this forum to see if I can get some answers to a few questions I have. My first question is whether or not MD or VA will waste all that money to have him sent all the way back up north. My second question is, if in fact they DO NOT come and get him within that 15 day time period, what happens? I have had conflicting reports as to what will happen...some lawyers are saying they will release him. Others are saying they will file for an extension for his extradition for another 15 days, and by the end of THAT time if they dont come they have to release him. And finally, others are saying that it doesnt matter, he will sit in jail forever, or at least up to three months until he is picked up.

Meanwhile, I am stuck with the burden of not knowing what will happen to him, along with dealing with packing our entire lives into boxes and moving...I was the house wife....he worked, while I cooked and cleaned, etc...I had to move us out of our house because we cant pay rent while he's in jail. I would appreciate any constructive advice you can give me for this situation. I am truly thankful.

Last edited:

Son of Slam

laurenamber said:
We were both broke, he was staying from place to place,..I was getting out of a bad relationship. ... ended up taking an ounce of Marijuana ...we all know that's illegal. ... my fiancee beat him up and stole 400 dollars in cash from him. ... we were involoved in an accident, ... there were 2 active warrants for his arrest. ...they took him to jail...2 warrants- one from Virginia for felony theft and violation of probation.
One out of Montgomery County, Maryland for stealing a bottle of liquor.
..he was arrested ...he was on probation, ...when he was released from jail he had no place to live or no job...he did not tell me about his probation.... He is stupid ...
I am stuck with the burden of not knowing what will happen to him,...I had to move us out of our house because we cant pay rent while he's in jail. .

Why not take your own advice, "I was getting out of a bad relationship."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">