• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ixf729

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I had a warrent for failure to show at court!
The original ticket was a parks and rec ticket which I sent off to arrive in time and was cashed before my court date. Should I defend myself will this be a simple case?

chetsonlaw

Get a lawyer to go in and get the Failure to Appear struck, and the Order for Arrest suspended. It's not complicated to do, but you should have an attorney do it to make sure it's done properly and there's no OFA outstanding on you.

For something like this, they don't send out the SWAT team to find you, but if you get a traffic stop in Colorado in the future, the Order for Arrest will probably show up and you will probably be jailed at least until you can make the $500 bond.

ixf729

I found out I had a the warrant and went in to the police. I now have a court date for the failure to appear, even though I had sent the money in by the date stated they did not recieve it in time and wanted me to still attend court even though they had cashed my cheque.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Make sure that when you go to court you bring in all paperwork related to the case - cancelled check, etc. I can't see how they can hold this against you.

If they didn't receive the payment in time they should have notified you. Sounds like the court made a mistake.

I found out I had a the warrant and went in to the police. I now have a court date for the failure to appear, even though I had sent the money in by the date stated they did not recieve it in time and wanted me to still attend court even though they had cashed my cheque.
If you have the cancelled check, it was sent on time, paid in full, by an allowable method; hirng an attorney would be a waste of $$$$.

Isis1

If you have the cancelled check, it was sent on time, paid in full, by an allowable method; hirng an attorney would be a waste of $$$$.
i have to agree. if you have proof the check was cashed during the time frame it was supposed to be handled....then you should be fine. quite possibly, the clerk could handle this issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">