• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cerveza

Can anyone tell me what the punishment for failure to appear in court in KY is? Or where I might be able to find the info? I've been looking in the codes to try and find it but can't see it anywhere...
As far as I can tell it's not an additional criminal charge (I can't find it there anyway) - but does anyone know what happens?
This is about a misdemeanor charge.

justalayman

failure to appear for what? What was the original charge.

generally a failure to appear for a court hearing results in an arrest warrant being issued and then, since you have proven yourself untrustworthy, you either get tossed in jail until your trial or some other hearing or your bail is increased.

cerveza

Short story: The original charge was Possession of Marijuana. I got a drug program. Quit going to the classes. Got sent order to go to, think it was, Show Cause Hearing. Didn't go. And now I'm here.

dave33

Short story: The original charge was Possession of Marijuana. I got a drug program. Quit going to the classes. Got sent order to go to, think it was, Show Cause Hearing. Didn't go. And now I'm here.
This is a violation. It may be a probation violation if the program was the plea deal. It could also be a bail violation if the deal was part of the bail
and you would have been sentenced after completion. Sometimes the violations means more jail time than a charge. Lawyer,lawyer. goodluck.

cerveza

This is a violation. It may be a probation violation if the program was the plea deal. It could also be a bail violation if the deal was part of the bail
and you would have been sentenced after completion. Sometimes the violations means more jail time than a charge. Lawyer,lawyer. goodluck.
Thanks for responding. The program was the plea deal but I'm not on probation. The deal wasn't part of bail either as far as I understand, and yes, I was supposed to complete the program or get sentenced again ~ which I suppose that show cause hearing was meant to be about..
When you say 'violation', are you talking about a Kentucky violation? Because I don't think you can get jail time for violations...

dave33

Thanks for responding. The program was the plea deal but I'm not on probation. The deal wasn't part of bail either as far as I understand, and yes, I was supposed to complete the program or get sentenced again ~ which I suppose that show cause hearing was meant to be about..
When you say 'violation', are you talking about a Kentucky violation? Because I don't think you can get jail time for violations...
O.k., I have no specific knowledge of the Kentucky system however this is what I think. You will be given another chance or be sentenced to jail time. Try to contact the attorney who handled the original charge, they should have an obligation to handle this as it is part of the original charge. However, if it is a paid attorney than it may be some more money.
I am also fairly certain you can get jailtime for a violation. goodluck.

cerveza

O.k., I have no specific knowledge of the Kentucky system however this is what I think. You will be given another chance or be sentenced to jail time. Try to contact the attorney who handled the original charge, they should have an obligation to handle this as it is part of the original charge. However, if it is a paid attorney than it may be some more money.
I am also fairly certain you can get jailtime for a violation. goodluck.
If you mean a 'violation' on the scale of violation/misd/felony, then I'm pretty sure there's no jail. But yeah, a 'probation violation' etc is different.
But this is all why i'm asking anyway, because I don't know what a failure to appear really equals
I had a PD so will try to contact them. I assume I have/will have a warrant and would rather deal with that in my own time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">