• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake ID in Vermont

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anjulis

I tried to use fake id in Vermont. Store clerk called police, I left before police arrived. I live in another state. Now the Vermont police officer somehow tracked the police officer in my school and sent him a letter asking to identify me from photos. The letter also says that I should call him and can be placed in some "diversity program" in my own state. I assume it involves paying some fine and program cost. If I do not call, the officer threatens to add a charge of possession of a counterfeit license with higher penalties and a license suspension.
Is it an empty thread? If my school officer does not reply to this letter, can Vermont police do anything without a proof? They do have a fake in their possession but no evidence that it was me trying to use it. Should I ignore it, should I contact him and deny, or contact him and admit?

Please, no moral answers, just legal ones.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I tried to use fake id in Vermont. Store clerk called police, I left before police arrived. I live in another state. Now the Vermont police officer somehow tracked the police officer in my school and sent him a letter asking to identify me from photos. The letter also says that I should call him and can be placed in some "diversity program" in my own state. I assume it involves paying some fine and program cost. If I do not call, the officer threatens to add a charge of possession of a counterfeit license with higher penalties and a license suspension.
Is it an empty thread? If my school officer does not reply to this letter, can Vermont police do anything without a proof? They do have a fake in their possession but no evidence that it was me trying to use it. Should I ignore it, should I contact him and deny, or contact him and admit?

You should get your parents involved in this matter.

You should learn to obey the law.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I specifically asked for a legal advice, not a moral one. My parents are aware of the situation but not of law in this case.
I specifically gave you legal advice, not moral. Now, ask your parents to hire an attorney for you.

anjulis

I specifically gave you legal advice, not moral. Now, ask your parents to hire an attorney for you.
This is a "free advice" forum. An advice to hire an attorney is pretty useless. The whole idea is to get a legal advice without paying to an attorney. If you can say something constructive about the case, please, do. Otherwise, please, stay out of this thread.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I specifically asked for a legal advice, not a moral one. My parents are aware of the situation but not of law in this case.
Legal advice: they have tracked you down, even though you "live" out of state, so there is perhaps more evidence than you think. Your school has been notified of the issue - the school really is not in a position to protect you from the consequences of what you do while off campus, and your actions may be in violation of some of the school's own rules - grounds for suspension or even expulsion. You need a lawyer, as you do not even know what a "diversion" program is. The *legal* reality is that they know who you are, where you are, and what you did. Avoiding this reality will not make it go away, and could increase your problems.

If you are under 18, then yes, you need to involve your parents, as you are a minor. You will need their help in retaining a lawyer.

If you are over 18, then no, you do not need to involve your parents. However, if they are the ones supporting you financially, you might have to. Furthermore, as a legal adult, you can be charged as a legal adult, and have things go on your permanent record.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
This is a "free advice" forum. An advice to hire an attorney is pretty useless. The whole idea is to get a legal advice without paying to an attorney. If you can say something constructive about the case, please, do. Otherwise, please, stay out of this thread.
Why?

You have shown that you are ignorant, and there are indications that you might even be a minor.

Face the music: you screwed up, and you show no indication of being able to handle this by yourself.

A mature person finds out what they're potentially charged with and what this "diversion program" entails BEFORE asking how to legally handle it.

Furthermore, if you are a minor, there are limitations on what you can legally do.

So, what were you doing with the fake ID - trying to score cigarettes or alcohol?

P.S. What makes you think that you have the power to determine whether you school official(s) respond?

Last edited:
There is such a fine line between clever and stupid.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this, this probably will all blow over in a few days. With no evidence, you're home free.
A couple of quick questions though.

Upon entering the store, where you able to disable the camera that records all transactions especially the one that is directly behind the counter?
Did you wipe the fake ID clean of finger prints and DNA?

They didn't have no camera? and the card was squeaky clean when you handed it to the store clerk.
Good!
One more thing...
Have you figured out how they managed to hunt you down with so little evidence?

..____________________________
~ Life's a beach and then you die.
.:D

Last edited:

anjulis

You have shown that you are ignorant, and there are indications that you might even be a minor.
I am 18. In high school.

A mature person finds out what they're potentially charged with and what this "diversion program" entails BEFORE asking how to legally handle it.
I know the potential charge: possession on counterfeit license which means $300 fine, 60 days license suspension, possible insurance increase.
What I don't know is how realistic it is to expect Vermont law coming after someone from out of state with such minor issue. I was hoping to get an answer in this forum.

So, what were you doing with the fake ID - trying to score cigarettes or alcohol?
alcohol

P.S. What makes you think that you have the power to determine whether you school official(s) respond?
The letter was addressed to a cop in our school, school officials did not even see it. So it pretty easy to ask the cop if he is going to bother to reply.
I am surprised that the officer in Vermont went through the trouble to find what school I am in, then what police officer is assigned to that school.

I am 18. In high school.

I know the potential charge: possession on counterfeit license which means $300 fine, 60 days license suspension, possible insurance increase.
What I don't know is how realistic it is to expect Vermont law coming after someone from out of state with such minor issue. I was hoping to get an answer in this forum.

I am surprised that the officer in Vermont went through the trouble to find what school I am in, then what police officer is assigned to that school.
Well so am I.. .surprised they haven't picked you up yet.
Your name was on the fake ID card right? otherwise it is known as identity theft, NOT a minor issue
Good Luck.

Last edited:

eerelations

What I don't know is how realistic it is to expect Vermont law coming after someone from out of state with such minor issue...I am surprised that the officer in Vermont went through the trouble to find what school I am in, then what police officer is assigned to that school.
Given the trouble the Vermont cops went through to find you and and the officer assigned to your school, simple logic dictates that it would be pretty unrealistic to expect them to just drop the issue now.

eerelations

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this, this probably will all blow over in a few days. With no evidence, you're home free.

Upon entering the store, where you able to disable the camera that records all transactions especially the one that is directly behind the counter?

They didn't have no camera? and the card was squeaky clean when you handed it to the store clerk.
Good!
One more thing...

..____________________________
~ Life's a bitch and then you die.
And don't forget that totally bogus "diversity" program they threatened him with, he can ignore that too! :D

anjulis

Good!
One more thing...

Funny.
In reality, most store cameras work on 24 hours loop, so unless police got the record right away it is already gone. No way for me to know at this point. Fingerprints are questionable, many people handled it. Nobody is going to order an expensive DNA test over something like this.
They found me because my name was on the id. Not difficult but time consuming.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">