• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Arrest for a DUI and ABUSE by POLICE in MAINE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

I think your study on Cambodian Gender Studies has tainted your opinion. There may be a lot of police officers who kidnap and rape women there (leaving a witness/sister behind), but it doesn't happen much here in the United States. You may accuse me of mysogyny or whatever other theory as to why things which happend wasn't your fault, but, the end result will be that the vast majority of the problem was directly related to your own actions.

its nice to know there are lots of men out there who support police brutality...that's why it continues unquestioned.
I fight police misconduct every chance I can. When those who are tasked with law enforcement break the law, society is worse. The real problem comes from those who refuse to take responsibility for their actions. People who see victims all around and make up stereotypes to help the victim status against the man. (Used as a '60s term of unjustified authority and not as a gender term perpetuating women's subjugation at the hands of testosteron-crazed nimrods. [Wait, I don't mean Nimrods because that's from the Bible, a man-centric book written to dominate and control women, I mean...well testosteron-crazed in any event.])

>Charlotte<

Lurker
its obvious you are a man...its nice to know there are lots of men out there who support police brutality...
I'm a woman. What Tranq and Carl are telling you is absolutely correct.

You resisted arrest. You resisted, and the officer responded in accordance with his training and his department's policy.

You bear some responsibility here. If you're going to play the "I'm a woman!" card, then act like a woman and not a little girl.

hoefinger

I'm a woman. What Tranq and Carl are telling you is absolutely correct.

You resisted arrest. You resisted, and the officer responded in accordance with his training and his department's policy.

You bear some responsibility here. If you're going to play the "I'm a woman!" card, then act like a woman and not a little girl.
oh...i stand corrected...its obvious there are plenty of WOMEN as well as men out there who support police brutality as well and that's why it continues unquestioned....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
oh...i stand corrected...its obvious there are plenty of WOMEN as well as men out there who support police brutality as well and that's why it continues unquestioned....
A college professor? God help the youth!

CdwJava

Let's turn this around a bit ... what SHOULD the police officer have done when you resisted him? What do YOU think the officer should have done?

Should he have let you run off into the woods? Run across the roadway? Kick him? Bite him? What?

Had you been the officer with a cuffed suspect resisting you, what would YOU have done in that situation?

- Carl

CdwJava

I fight police misconduct every chance I can. When those who are tasked with law enforcement break the law, society is worse. The real problem comes from those who refuse to take responsibility for their actions. People who see victims all around and make up stereotypes to help the victim status against the man. (Used as a '60s term of unjustified authority and not as a gender term perpetuating women's subjugation at the hands of testosteron-crazed nimrods. [Wait, I don't mean Nimrods because that's from the Bible, a man-centric book written to dominate and control women, I mean...well testosteron-crazed in any event.])
:D

I am SOOO glad I had finished my coffee before I read this! I hate it when coffee comes up through the nostrils! And my keyboard wouldn't have liked it much, either!

- Carl

hoefinger

Let's turn this around a bit ... what SHOULD the police officer have done when you resisted him? What do YOU think the officer should have done?

Should he have let you run off into the woods? Run across the roadway? Kick him? Bite him? What?

Had you been the officer with a cuffed suspect resisting you, what would YOU have done in that situation?

- Carl
i wasn't hysterically resisting arrest. i asked that more cops to please come to the scene so that there were other professional witnesses and to ease my suspicion that he had malintention. but he didnt want me to wait outside the car while other cops arrived...so he tightened my handcuffs and violently pushed me into the car. i told him i was uncomfortable being taken away alone and that i just wanted more cops there. But he needed to assert his authority--which is what cops do best.

i have contacted my attorney and we will proceed with a case. to all those who responded, thanks for your input. its interesting to see who sits around and reads and responds to these forums all day. would be nice to have so much free time on my hands. signing off now...thanks again.

CdwJava

i wasn't hysterically resisting arrest. i asked that more cops to please come to the scene so that there were other professional witnesses and to ease my suspicion that he had malintention.
First, he was not required by law or courtesy to go along with this.

Second, it would not have been safe for any of you to leave you unhandcuffed on the side of the road - especially when you were actively resisting. Had you run into the woods, run into traffic, or for any reason injured yourself, the officer would have been responsible. Securing you in the vehicle was the safest and most expedient way to handle the situation.

but he didnt want me to wait outside the car while other cops arrived...so he tightened my handcuffs and violently pushed me into the car.
Is there a NON violent way to "push" someone? Apparently you were refusing to get into the car.

i told him i was uncomfortable being taken away alone and that i just wanted more cops there. But he needed to assert his authority--which is what cops do best.
Again, he had no legal obligation to acquiesce to that request. He needed to act for your safety and his - which is what cops tend to do best. I'm sorry you do not see that.

I have contacted my attorney and we will proceed with a case.
Good. If there is a problem, then it needs to be dealt with. if the officer is improperly trained, then it needs to be addressed. I doubt you are going to get any real traction for an excessive force issue, however, but you might get traction for an unlawful arrest if the officer can not articulate sufficient probable cause to support the arrest.

to all those who responded, thanks for your input. its interesting to see who sits around and reads and responds to these forums all day. would be nice to have so much free time on my hands. signing off now...thanks again.
Yeah ... we all have so much free time. :rolleyes:

I do believe we all work, and most of us are professionals in various fields. I, myself, am a police supervisor and work in the afternoon. I have things to do around the house in the morning, so I hang here periodically until I head to work. I suppose I could sit and watch TV, but that's so much less productive.

- Carl

tranquility

i have contacted my attorney and we will proceed with a case.
While I believe you may have called an attorney to make an appointment, I do not believe it has been decided to proceed with a case. I believe this because:
1. You claim to be a PhD candidate. While studying Cambodian Gender issues seems like a rich person's pursuit, I suspect you are not a rich person.
2. Civil rights lawsuits are very expensive.
3. You are not going to be able to afford to pay for a civil rights lawsuit if you are not rich when there is so little potential reward. (There are practically no damages.)
4. You will need the agreement of an attorney to do this on contingency. This is possible because federal civil rights lawsuits can come with the potential of attorney fees attached.
5. This is not likely without substantial damages. This is because the attorney doesn't even know you and will not go out on a limb and spend days or weeks just trying to get enough discovery to tell if the case is possible to win and if it is worth it for him if there is not the potential of a big payout.

Therefore, unless I miss my guess about how rich your are, you will not be able prosecute the case on your own and it will be hard to find an attorney who will take it on contingency. I know you have not talked to an attorney as yet because you would have other steps to go before talking about proceeding with a "case".

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Ahhhhh.....the indignity of youth. Break the bonds and rise against the brutal arm of The System! Stand united to loose the clenched fists of Tyranny just before being bitch-slapped by the cold, calloused hand of Reality.

You should have a theme song, and it should be something by Jefferson Airplane or Joni Mitchell.

Had you drank only one beer, a few hours before this incident your BAC would not have been .02. The body processes alcohol at the rate of around one drink an hour. Meaning that one beer in an hour will leave you with a .00 BAC in theory. I have been given a Breathalyzer after drinking a beer a few hours earlier and I did blow a .00 but the test was administered by military officials not police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">