• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false harassment charge filed by ex-wife's, husband's cop friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dad4457

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My ex-wife's, husband's best friend is a police officer. The ex and her husband are trying to get full custody of our children. They are getting the cop friend to write false harassment charges as to use in custody court. I don't have any criminal history or have had any criminal record in my entire life, I'm a good father trying to take care of my kids. I don't drink, never been violent, have many friends and family that can vouch for me. I stay out of the way of my ex's way at all cost.

This is the second false harassment charge that I have had to face from my ex-wife's, husband's best friend / the police officer. I wasn't even around her or him when they are charging that I was. I do not even verbally speak with my ex, the only communication we have is through a state approved website (Our Family Wizard) and it only pertains to the kids and I make sure I'm polite and direct on that. I was able to fight the last false harassment charge and win but I'm wondering when this will end or if I can do anything about it.

Is there a law that I can site to have the cop to stop false harassment charges? There has got to be something I can do. I'm going to hire a lawyer for this charge but wanted to ask the forum if there is any such statute or law that can help me out...

Thanks, any info would help.

CdwJava

What is this man doing that you consider to be "false" harassment charges?

Is he writing reports provided to him? Is HE making reports? And who are these reports being made to?

If these are allegations being made in Family Court and you can prove they are incorrect, do so. If you can prove the officer is knowingly and intentionally making false statements against you, you might have a cause for legal action against him. But, if he is merely reporting what he has been told by your ex and her husband, he is not liable for their false statements.

Consult your attorney as to how best to proceed to counter any erroneous claims.

dad4457

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My ex-wife's, husband's best friend is a police officer. The ex and her husband are trying to get full custody of our children. They are getting the cop friend to write false harassment charges as to use in custody court. I don't have any criminal history or have had any criminal record in my entire life, I'm a good father trying to take care of my kids. I don't drink, never been violent, have many friends and family that can vouch for me. I stay out of the way of my ex's way at all cost.

This is the second false harassment charge that I have had to face from my ex-wife's, husband's best friend / the police officer. I wasn't even around her or him when they are charging that I was. I do not even verbally speak with my ex, the only communication we have is through a state approved website (Our Family Wizard) and it only pertains to the kids and I make sure I'm polite and direct on that. I was able to fight the last false harassment charge and win but I'm wondering when this will end or if I can do anything about it.

Is there a law that I can site to have the cop to stop false harassment charges? There has got to be something I can do. I'm going to hire a lawyer for this charge but wanted to ask the forum if there is any such statute or law that can help me out...

Thanks, any info would help.
I received a summons in the mail to appear in front of the magistrate that reads:

"Defendant did with intent to harass annoy or alarm another person did endanger in a course of conduct or repeatedly committed acts which server no legitimate purpose."

its dated on a day that I had zero contact (physical, text, email) with my ex. The days before and after that date, the only contact I had was email through Our Family Wizard and as I said, I make sure my emails are polite and direct.

Yes, he (the cop) is writing the summons. The cop is writing the summons based on what the ex-wifes husband is requesting because I have never met the cop and the cop lives an hour away from me.

Like I mentioned, I am going to consult an attorney but I wanted to see if anyone knew and PA law that I can read or if anyone can point me in the right direction to research.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Making a false report is a crime in any state. You don't need to know the statute and if you insist you can look through your state's criminal code for it.

You're a bit unclear as to whether the officer is writing the complaint independently or if he is going strictly by what your ex is reporting to him.

Speak to your attorney who can best deal with this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're a bit unclear as to whether the officer is writing the complaint independently or if he is going strictly by what your ex is reporting to him.
I disagree. The OP states that the officer is acting based on the complaint made by the ex-wife's husband.

Yes, he (the cop) is writing the summons. The cop is writing the summons based on what the ex-wifes husband is requesting because I have never met the cop and the cop lives an hour away from me.

CdwJava

It sounds as if the summons was written as a result of a criminal report being made. As such, the liability would rest with the person making the report, not the officer issuing the summons.

So, if you are required to appear in court on a criminal charge, hire an attorney and defend yourself against the allegations. If you can prove that she knowingly and intentionally lied, perhaps the police will charge her with a crime. However, it is exceedingly difficult to prove such allegations so don't count on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">