• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False statements on a police report ... what now???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shellb8869

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? First of all, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I'm really concerned about a friend of mine. His girlfirend has two children and he had the role of "daddy" for quite some time. He loves the children and he is a very good provider. Unfortunately, he and his girlfriend have recently had some issues between them and she's asked him to leave on a couple of instances. There's been nothing physical, just some arguing and such. The last time she asked him to leave, the live-in babysitter asked what she should do if he returned the following day and the girlfriend told her that if he showed up and started anything, she could call the cops. So as he often did, he showed up on his lunch hour to buy the kids lunch from the deli next door. But the minute he got to the front door, the babysitter placed a very dramatic call to 911. (She is 17 years old, quite the "drama queen" and trouble maker) She freaked out and attempted to push the door closed to keep him out he ended up pushing his way inside the house and wanted to know why in the world she was calling the police. She simply proceeded to make a crazy scene on the phone and he got spooked and took off.

So, the cops show up at the house and a report is taken. As it turns out, when everything went down, the nine year old girl was sitting on the back of the couch and at some point lost her balance. Apparently the babysitter told the cops that he "pushed and slapped" the little girl so the fire department showed up and took some pictures of a "red mark" that was on her back. Since the babysitter is quite influencial on the little girl, I guess she went along with the story. Now, the cops are actively looking for my friend as there is an investigation into "assult on a child".

As you can imagine, my friend is really freaked out about the whole situation and has been avoiding the cops as he doesn't want to be arrested. My boyfriend and I know him quite well and know that he is not a violent person, nor would he EVER do anything to hurt those kids. At the same time , we also know how the babysitter is. In the few months that we've known her, I've caught her in several lies, she stole a pack of cigarettes from me, she keyed my friends truck, etc... She's bad news but there aren't any other options at the time and the kids will be back in school soon so she will be gone.

The girlfriend has made several attempts to speak to the detective in the case to tell him about the false statements that were made but he simply won't listen. He's been incredibly rude about shows no interest in anything but finding my friend. There have been officer's show up at the house many times looking for him but he's been staying some where else to avoid getting arrested. He did some time in prison for some unrelated mistakes he made in his past and does NOT want to return; especially for something he didn't do. Yeah, he has a criminal background but like I said, he's a really good guy that made some poor choices but he's done his time. And, since his release from prison he's been a hard-working, law-abiding family man; a respectable member of society.

Now, I'd like to know what the heck happens next??? How long will the cops be looking for him??? How can he get things resolved without getting arrested??? I there anything I or his girlfriend can do to help out??? Will he actually be arrested if and when he meets up with the cops??? We have tried to obtain a copy of the police report but have been unsuccessful. I'd greatly appreciate any input, suggestions, guidance, etc... THANKS!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

How long will the cops be looking for him???
until he is arrested or the charges are dropped

How can he get things resolved without getting arrested???
most likely not possible
I there anything I or his girlfriend can do to help out???
if this goes to trial, be a witness to his personality and demeanor.

Most likely

We have tried to obtain a copy of the police report but have been unsuccessful.
It may not be available due the fact there is an ongoing case.

Well, this is not going to resolve itself. Since he is providing so well, he needs to take some of that money and hire an attorney. If there is any chance of not getting locked up when he is arrested, an attorney is going to be needed to attempt to set things up prior to arrest. If this is a situation where he will be allowed bail, the attorney may be able to set things up for bail to be paid immediately upon arrest so the process will be quick. It may not be possible to do this though.

other than that, he is simply going to have to go through the process and have faith that the system does work and he is exonerated.

CdwJava

But the minute he got to the front door, the babysitter placed a very dramatic call to 911. (She is 17 years old, quite the "drama queen" and trouble maker) She freaked out and attempted to push the door closed to keep him out he ended up pushing his way inside the house and wanted to know why in the world she was calling the police. She simply proceeded to make a crazy scene on the phone and he got spooked and took off.
That's what happens when you force a door open with a hysterical girl on the other side. No surprise that she made a "crazy scene" on the phone. I expect most teenagers would get freaked out if some guy is trying to force his way inside - and probably angry, ta boot.

So, the cops show up at the house and a report is taken. As it turns out, when everything went down, the nine year old girl was sitting on the back of the couch and at some point lost her balance. Apparently the babysitter told the cops that he "pushed and slapped" the little girl so the fire department showed up and took some pictures of a "red mark" that was on her back.
The 9 year old fell over off the top of the couch and got a red mark on her back? How? Her head, maybe ... an arm or a leg, maybe ... but on the back? How?

Sorry, that doesn't ring true. Having investigated juvenile crimes for many years, I have to say that an injury on one's back from a fall as you describe is very unlikely (of course, you cannot possibly know it happened in that way, anyway, so there might be another explanation that explains it).

Since the babysitter is quite influencial on the little girl, I guess she went along with the story. Now, the cops are actively looking for my friend as there is an investigation into "assult on a child".
A nine year old is likely to make a pretty good witness for the prosecution if she corroborates the statement of the sitter.

As you can imagine, my friend is really freaked out about the whole situation and has been avoiding the cops as he doesn't want to be arrested.
That just makes him look guilty.

My boyfriend and I know him quite well and know that he is not a violent person, nor would he EVER do anything to hurt those kids.
Accidents happen, and sometimes tempers take control.

The girlfriend has made several attempts to speak to the detective in the case to tell him about the false statements that were made but he simply won't listen.
She was not present so she was not a witness.

He's been incredibly rude about shows no interest in anything but finding my friend.
Darn those cops, looking for a suspect!

Now, I'd like to know what the heck happens next??? How long will the cops be looking for him???
They will look for him for as long as it takes or until they don't need to talk to him any more. And if a warrant comes out, they will look forever.

How can he get things resolved without getting arrested???
Hire an attorney and arrange an interview or a surrender. Right now they may just want a statement, not an arrest.

I there anything I or his girlfriend can do to help out???
Raise money for a lawyer, perhaps.

Will he actually be arrested if and when he meets up with the cops???
No way to know.

We have tried to obtain a copy of the police report but have been unsuccessful.
They do not have to give it to you.

- carl

Shellb8869

Darn those cops, looking for a suspect!
I came to this site and posted my thread as I was looking for some help, Java. Is it a habit of yours to try and belittle those in need? Might I mention that one whom belittle's must be little. What I was trying to say, is that the detective has not shown any interest in talking with the kids. When the girlfriend has offered to bring them in or set up a meeting, he yelled at he and told her not to tell him how to run his investigation. She is not trying to be a witness, nor did I even say that to begin with.

I don't know exactly how it all went down but the little girl admitted that the babysitter made up the story and there was never any physical contact made between anyone. As far as the "crazy scene" made on the phone ... it was completely unnecessary. It wasn't just "some guy" trying to make his way in; it happened to be her employer! She knew who it was and when he went to open the door, she slammed against it to push it closed. Now, I know that if I were to come home on my lunch hour and the same things happened to me, I too, would push the door open.

I've been trying to tell him that running from the cops is only making him look guilty. He does know that but his fear of being arrested is clouding his judgement. I know he just needs to face the music but we're all just trying to learn whatever we can about all of the legal aspects. An attorney would be great, but money doesn't grow on trees. Yes, he's a good provider but paying for an attorney would mean providing for the attorney, not the children.

CdwJava

I came to this site and posted my thread as I was looking for some help, Java. Is it a habit of yours to try and belittle those in need?
Please quote where I belittled you.

I stated some facts and opinions. The fact is, you were not there and are not a witness to the events so, in truth, anything could have happened. The other fact (and the one I suspect you are miffed about) is that an injury to a back of a 9 year old child falling off the back of a couch is not very likely. There are circumstances where it is possible, but none have been articulated. And being a parent, and having investigated similar allegations for many years, I have to say that such a claim will be a stretch if it involves a visible injury.

What I was trying to say, is that the detective has not shown any interest in talking with the kids.
Probably because they already have the statement from the injured child ... at least, what you wrote was that you guessed the girl had already talked to the police. I suspect you are correct. So, now, they want to get HIS side of the story before they waste more time doing more interviews.

When the girlfriend has offered to bring them in or set up a meeting, he yelled at he and told her not to tell him how to run his investigation. She is not trying to be a witness, nor did I even say that to begin with.
Perhaps you need to write more clearly, then. What you wrote was:

"The girlfriend has made several attempts to speak to the detective ..." To me, that sounds like SHE wants to speak to the detective, not to have her kids talk to him.

But, again, he may not feel he has a need to speak with them again. Not yet, anyway. Plus, dollars to donuts, the 9 year old's story has changed. Is the girlfriend back together with the ex who is at the center of all this?

I don't know exactly how it all went down but the little girl admitted that the babysitter made up the story and there was never any physical contact made between anyone.
Which is not apparently what she told the cops. So, it comes down to a question of WHICH statement is the lie? Thus, the child's credibility is damaged. Likely a detailed forensic interview with the child would be required should they wish to pursue a charge for the child neglect. But, with a recanting child, they may not pursue that.

At this point, the police are likely trying to sort out what happened. And, unless the child has some pretty serious injuries, chances are they are not going to go through a whole lot of trouble to pursue the matter. But, if the ex stays in hiding, they may have little alternative.

As far as the "crazy scene" made on the phone ... it was completely unnecessary.
Of course, you're not a 17 year old who is trying to keep the door closed after the parents of the children you are watching told you "that if he showed up and started anything, she could call the cops" ... that lends itself to some pretty serious possibilities.

It wasn't just "some guy" trying to make his way in; it happened to be her employer!
You mean, the guy who had been booted out of the house and who the mother of the children said was not to come back? THAT employer?

I've been trying to tell him that running from the cops is only making him look guilty. He does know that but his fear of being arrested is clouding his judgement.
Then he should consult an attorney and make some arrangement. Or, he can stay on the run, hope they don't have enough to convince a judge to sign a warrant, and come home some day down the road.

- Carl

outonbail

I came to this site and posted my thread as I was looking for some help, Java.
Accurate answers to your questions should prepare you better than whatever answers you were expecting/hoping for. If you refuse to understand the information provided, then the information will not help. Telling you what you want to hear will not help either.
Yes, he's a good provider but paying for an attorney would mean providing for the attorney, not the children.
Paying for an attorney will provide him the best chance of keeping his freedom. How will he provide for anyone if he's locked up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">