• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely accused...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Southern Matt

My ex has a restraining order out against me...and last thursday night around 1030 i went out with some buddies to the bar...we went to three different bars and after they closed i invited my friends to my apt. to continue drinkin...they did not leave till 430...During that same period someone slashed my exs tires. she automatically assumed it was me..but she also has a neighbor that says she saw me that night slash the tires and was able to pick me out of a line up the cops showed her on paper..when the cops questioned me i told them where i was at..and gave them numbers to the people i was with and even numbers to a couple of the bartenders who can verify where i was at...do the police have enough to get an arrest warrant on just one person saying i was there even though i was not there and the people i was with verifying that i was where i was?...and is there any legal way to get my ex to stop accusing me of things that i dont do?

CdwJava

My ex has a restraining order out against me...
What state are you in? (This can be important, and this is why it is a question asked of every poster when you first post to a thread.)

do the police have enough to get an arrest warrant on just one person saying i was there even though i was not there and the people i was with verifying that i was where i was?
They might have enough, they might not. They might decide that your friends are lying to cover your tail end, they might not. It depends on a number of factors we cannot know such as the history of your friends, the consistency of their stories to the police, the credibility of the witness, etc.

...and is there any legal way to get my ex to stop accusing me of things that i dont do?
Nope.

If she is knowingly nad intentionally making stuff up then that could be a crime. But, being mistaken is not a crime, and it is probably a reasonable assumption to make that you slashed her tires if things got so bitter that she felt she needed a restraining order!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">