• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely accused by ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ladylulu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
My friend is in jail on a stalking charge. He has been falsely accused by a vindictive ex who threatened to put him back in prison if he didn't go back to her. I heard her say this to him during a phone conversation she had initiated. The alleged incident took place when he was with me 300 miles away. He has a history with this family and went to prison 20 years ago. Since he got out he has worked hard to turn his life around and now this. He has been offered a plea barbgain of 15 months on a Class 6 which would be aggravated. His public defender is advising him to take the deal saying he would lose at trial because of his past which could result in a 12 years sentence. His ex is an ex cop and knows how to work the system. He's not an angel but in this situation he is innocent. He has no money for a private lawyer. Is he just screwed?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
My friend is in jail on a stalking charge. He has been falsely accused by a vindictive ex who threatened to put him back in prison if he didn't go back to her. I heard her say this to him during a phone conversation she had initiated. The alleged incident took place when he was with me 300 miles away. He has a history with this family and went to prison 20 years ago. Since he got out he has worked hard to turn his life around and now this. He has been offered a plea barbgain of 15 months on a Class 6 which would be aggravated. His public defender is advising him to take the deal saying he would lose at trial because of his past which could result in a 12 years sentence. His ex is an ex cop and knows how to work the system. He's not an angel but in this situation he is innocent. He has no money for a private lawyer. Is he just screwed?
so then he has no proof he was with you at the time the stalking occured? and you are not a reliable witness?

he's been advised to take the plea bargin.

cyjeff

There must be some record of his being 300 miles away....

How about receipts, phone records or photos?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">