• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family being harrassed by US Marshalls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jas2on

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

In 1988 my maternal uncle (mom's brother) was arrested and deported back to Europe for money laundering and drug charges. Starting a few months back the U.S. marshalls have started contacting varous family members in the states on the where abouts of my uncle and recently started asking questions about my mother and grandmother. They contacted my paternal grandmother (dads mother) on the where about of my mother and was told if she did not cooperate and if she told anyone, she can face jail time. Shes 83 years old! Too old to be harrased like this. Shes freaking out, my mom is freeked out, What can we do to end all this?

You Are Guilty

I also need to know at what age one becomes "too old" to have to speak to the police. (You can never begin your retirement planning too early!)

Jas2on

Everyone has told them that he is in Germany (which he is) Is it routine for law enforcement in this country to scare the **** out of little old ladies?

JETX

Jas2on said:
Is it routine for law enforcement in this country to scare the **** out of little old ladies?
I did a search of Supreme Court rulings and couldn't find anything that specifically prohibits 'scaring the crap out of old ladies'. As long as they didn't BEAT the crap out of her.

CdwJava

Jas2on said:
Everyone has told them that he is in Germany (which he is) Is it routine for law enforcement in this country to scare the **** out of little old ladies?
"Routine"? No. But, if they don't believe her for some reason, they are permitted to advise her of the possible consequences of failing to cooperate.

She can also retain an attorney and have the attorney either seek an injunction in court, or, contact the Marshall's Office and ask them to leave her alone.

- Carl

cs2

Some real advice

You Are Guilty said:
I also need to know at what age one becomes "too old" to have to speak to the police. (You can never begin your retirement planning too early!)
I also need to know at what age one is obligated to speak to the police. :)

Seriously, the best advice given is to contact the USM office. Try to convince them you/family are telling the truth. We don't like wasting our time. If that doesn't work, then I'd take it a level higher with attorney, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">