• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felon in possession of a handgun?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ILlawSUX

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have a friend that I am trying to convince to get rid of his gun. He lives in Chicago where ALL handguns are illegal, and has 3 prior felonies in recent years.
Possession of >100grams of Marijuana
Possession of >500grams of Marijuana
Possession of >1gram of Heroin
2 DUIs in 4yrs
And an Assault charge that I don't know the details of.

I know laws are very strict about Felonies possessing a firearm, and have to assume its even worse because the Firearm is off the street and may even be stolen.
What are the penalties for this if he were to get caught with it?
I have helped him through lots of tough times over the years, and I don't want him to be my 1st friend in Prison. He avoided prison by the skin of his teeth with his last DUI and Drug Charge.
I wish there was something in OFFICIAL WRITING that would show him what he faces if caught. Its my opinion that a Felon with a Firearm should go to jail for a long long time! 2/3's of Police Officers killed in action are killed by Convicted Felons with illegal firearms. I am a LEGAL Gun owner, and have told him on several occasions that I will take him to a shooting range if he wants to shoot, but he insists that HE NEEDS his gun even though he lives in the Nicest Part of Chicago that exists!!

Thanks for your help!
His future thanks too for not going to prison!!

Last edited:

JETX

A felon in possession of a gun or even a single bullet would be in violation of FEDERAL law (Gun Control Act of 1968). And since the federal government prosecutes, most states will allow them to override local (state) laws (unless there is another crime committed at the time of arrest).
18 USC 922:
(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
(1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;

Punishment is set by 18 USC 924:
§ 924. Penalties
(a)
(2) Whoever knowingly violates subsection (a)(6), (d), (g), (h), (i), (j), or (o) of section 922 shall be fined as provided in this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

And that isn't even COUNTING local or state laws!!!

BL

UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARMS AND FIREARM AMMUNITION
(< 18 possession of concealable firearm or < 21 & convicted of misdemeanor)
720 ILCS 5/24-3.1
Possession of Firearm & Ammunition Other than Handgun:
Up to $2500 Fine &/or 1 year in Jail

Possession of Handgun:
Felony Up to $25,000 Fine &/or 1 to 3 Years in Pen.

Then of course there is the Felony possession ( IE: Felon in possession) .

http://www.crimeandpunishment.net/IL/chart.html

Last edited:

ILlawSUX

WOW!!! So this guy is gone for a while if he gets caught with this thing!!!
Felon in possession of a firearm
Possession of stolen firearm
Possession of Handgun in Chicago City Limits
And thats assuming he just gets caught with it in his house. That doesn't include the circumstances of the arrest like Unlawful use or Carrying a Concealed!!
Holy crap!......I would be sending this guy X-Mas presents in jail for years and years if he got caught.....what a dummy! :(
Hopefully this will change his mind......

Thanks!! :)

BL

ILlawSUX said:
WOW!!! So this guy is gone for a while if he gets caught with this thing!!!
Felon in possession of a firearm
Possession of stolen firearm
Possession of Handgun in Chicago City Limits
And thats assuming he just gets caught with it in his house. That doesn't include the circumstances of the arrest like Unlawful use or Carrying a Concealed!!
Holy crap!......I would be sending this guy X-Mas presents in jail for years and years if he got caught.....what a dummy! :(
Hopefully this will change his mind......

Thanks!! :)
So you have dummies for Friends ?

Better rethink your priorities in life ..

ILlawSUX

Is it a SURE THING that he would go to jail for this? He really thinks his $500/hr Lawyer could get him off with probation and a fine**************
I will also have to tell him that its a Federal Crime, not just some BS Chicago/IL violation.
Such a stubborn *******......not sure why I even care at this point. He has actually gotten mean with me when I try to discuss it with him.
"I would rather have to deal with the courts than not have my protection sitting next to me!"
Sounds like the REAL protection he needs is a Jumbo Hooker Size box of condoms to put in his jail cell next to the vaseline!

ILlawSUX

Blonde Lebinese said:
So you have dummies for Friends ?

Better rethink your priorities in life ..
Well, one dummy for a friend. Known him for a very long time. I guess its time to move on. I hate setting Ultamatums, but if he doesn't get rid of it, I need to shut him out. If he doesn't go to jail for this, its just a matter of time before History repeats itself. The last thing I need is to be caught in the web with him.

Nice screen name by the way! :cool:

BL

Cranda2 said:
So, my neighbor's house gets raided by the ATF about a month ago, and they are knocking on my door at 4:00am wanting to talk to my husband. So, I go wake him up and he goes outside for a minute and then lets me know that he's being arrest for a FTA on a traffic warrant. About 45min later, another knock on the door, ATF agents again and my husband has signed a consent to search for his gun collectioin. He mostly has antique firearms bought as an investment for my, and our daughter's future. (he's 25 yrs older than me) Anyway, they are looking at these guns, most covered in dust, and another agent comes in and says "NCIC-felon" then they start loading them into their cars. Make a long story short (or I'll try) they are saying that he was convicted of a felony in 1972 in MI. for carrying a concealed weapon. He spent one night in jail, was on probation for two years, paid so much a month for fines, and his lawyer said that if he stayed out of trouble, his record would be expunged. Now, since 1972, he has registered to vote, purchased a gun from a state patrol officer in MI, had it registered, and then filed a report when it was stolen several years later. Most recently, three years ago, during a trip to visit his mom, he attempted to purchase a gun from a store, the computers were down, so he left his cell phone number with the owner. The owner called him a few days later (when he was already 200 miles out of Detroit) and said "Everything checks out, you can come on in and we'll hook you up with this gun"!! No one has ever given us a reason for them being at my house in the first place, other than their bogus claim that we had some association with the neighbor. They based that on one incident when he came to our door, and wasn't even let inside my house. What the hell is going on here? He's possibly facing a 20 years prison sentence and we've lost about $7-10,000 worth of antique guns. Any advice?

Yes delete this post and start your own thread .. But with all due respect He should have confirmed if in fact the other records were expunged before purchasing firearms .

He'll need a good lawyer .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">