• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony for parking on private property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leeleigh

Tennessee
Last nite I parked in an apartment complex parking lot while visiting friends who live there. Unbeknownst to me(there were no signs posted), the apt. residents had received a memo stating that all visitors were required to now park in a certain place or be towed. I had no knowledge of that. After a few hours, I came out to my car and found a 'boot' being installed on my car by a private company that told me I had to pay them $95 to take the boot off....they said if I didn't have the cash on me, they would gladly wait until I went to the ATM to get it. They said if they went ahead & towed it, it would cost me $195. I was left to think about it while they went to 'boot' some other cars. In that time, I simply took the 'boot' off, (it slipped right off ...obviously not well installed), left the boot where it sat and I left.
The police later called me, saying that I could be charged with a felony, (theft of the boot worth $800) and told me to return the boot. I returned to the parking lot,(private property parking lot, isn't it?) picked up the boot where I had left it, took it to the company that owned it and gave them the boot back. They said, 'No good, we're still going to press charges'. I said "fine, here's your $95." They wouldn't take it. Said they were going to press charges for theft....BUT THEY HAVE THE BOOT BACK IN THEIR POSSESSION. Even the officer I talked with, said it was a 'racket', but he maintains that I can be charged with a felony. I had to take care of all this during the middle of the night, because I had guard duty the next day. (Air Nat'l Guard) Is this extreme? THEY attach something to MY PROPERTY, then say that I STOLE IT and charge me $95 to take it off??!!!! Can they do that?
A felony doesn't look good on a guardsman. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">