• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fight -> Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Danny_W

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi,
I'm 17, so i go by juvi. The story is, I got in a fight with the other kid and broke his jaw and nose. He is 17 too and his father pressed charges.

He was the one who wanted to fight me and he set up date/time/place for me to show up, which i did. The witnesses were my friends who support me. I didn't know about his jaw and nose being broken untill the next day. He got up and walked home when it was over on his own.

I detective called me and i had to go to police station, but i refused to give him any details. He said that i should get something in the mail in 4 to 6 weeks.

What should i do next? Should i look for a lawer? Can i get a jail time? What am i facing? I'm really confused at this point and i need your advice.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Its the first time i'm facing charges or dealing with police.

Last edited:

P

Pfaffing85690

And speaking with your parents never crossed your mind?

D

Danny_W

yeah, of course i did, they really have no clue what to do, they keep asking their friends for advice. They agreed to take a lawer if needed.

P

Pfaffing85690

Then tell them it is needed. You may face assault charges but THEY will end up footing the bill for the broken nose, doctor's bills and pain and suffering that you caused.

So, what are you going to do now?

J

JammyDodger

Sorry, Danny, but thats the whole of your answer - get a lawyer. More specifically, get a GOOD lawyer. You might get off with a warning or a community service order if this is your first offence, but don't bet on it. Sounds like you did some serious damage to that other guy. He may also come after you for damages in civil court, which would be a further bit of fun for your parents' bank balance.

Unfortunately you cannot consent to what is illegal. IE you cannot consent to be battered. The obvious exception would be in a controlled and regulated sports setting where the criterion is going to be the level and structure of said regulations.

If it were legal to get into a fistfight with someone I would have already beat the crap out of several people in my law school.

I do feel, however, that the "victim" participated in the crime to the same degree he did. Since he happened to be the loser he decided to go cry to the police, I'm sure if he ended up on top he would not have felt the need to involve the police. Personally, I think it would be an injustice to allow him to press charges against his partner-in-crime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">