• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filed a police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shaneh23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas hello I have filed a police report in 2011 for harassment and threats from my ex I called and spoke with the investigator and was told my case was suspended because I never returned their phone call nor turned in phone records. What does suspended mean? Is it closed or ?

Last edited:

CdwJava

It means that no further action was taken. It probably cannot be "closed" because it could not be determined to be either unfounded or result in a criminal complaint. So, it was suspended.

Effectively it means the matter is over and done with. With no action after 4 years, they are not likely to look into it any further now.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas hello I have filed a police report in 2011 for harassment and threats from my ex I called and spoke with the investigator and was told my case was suspended because I never returned their phone call nor turned in phone records. What does suspended mean? Is it closed or ?
Why is this an issue now, in 2015?

single317dad

If the alleged crime is 42.07 harassment, a class B misdemeanor, it's very likely the 2-year statute of limitations has run and he couldn't be prosecuted anyway.

Shaneh23

It means that no further action was taken. It probably cannot be "closed" because it could not be determined to be either unfounded or result in a criminal complaint. So, it was suspended.

Effectively it means the matter is over and done with. With no action after 4 years, they are not likely to look into it any further now.
thanks Quincy just didn't know because when I asked the investigator he said suspended means closed but I had also heard suspended meant further leads and when I called no one could find the report they needed the case # which I thought was odd

quincy

thanks Quincy just didn't know because when I asked the investigator he said suspended means closed but I had also heard suspended meant further leads and when I called no one could find the report they needed the case # which I thought was odd
Ha. While I appreciate the thanks, Shaneh23, I definitely don't deserve any in this thread.

The thanks rightfully belong to CdwJava who made the post you liked (I liked it, too), and to Silverplum and single317dad who contributed to your thread.

Shaneh23

Ha. While I appreciate the thanks, Shaneh23, I definitely don't deserve any in this thread.

The thanks rightfully belong to CdwJava who made the post you liked (I liked it, too), and to Silverplum and single317dad who contributed to your thread.
No problem so if the investigator said suspended means closed what's the difference between that and suspended for more leads? And isn't it suppose to be closed when the sol runs out?

CdwJava

I just wanted to know why it's suspended and not closed
A department can establish whatever criteria they want in classifying a report. "Suspended" usually means something akin to there exists insufficient information to make a criminal complaint against the suspect or to determine that the offense was unfounded or failed to meet the probable cause requirement. A "closed" case generally has been investigated and a criminal complaint issued, or, the matter was unable to be pursued because it was not a crime, or the victim chose not to pursue the matter (and it was a crime that required the victim to request charges). In your case they likely kept it suspended because they needed additional info and it was never provided to them. If the SOL has expired, chances are they may close it now (assuming their system permits it).

davew128

No problem so if the investigator said suspended means closed what's the difference between that and suspended for more leads? And isn't it suppose to be closed when the sol runs out?
Seriously? Haven't you got more important things to worry about in life?

CdwJava

At this point it's over. Move on and worry about something else. This horse is dead and buried.

Silverplum

Shaneh, I've "seen" you reviewing your thread several times over the last couple of days: is something unclear, or do you have further questions?

Not that you can't view your thread all night and all day, if that's what you want to do. :)

Shaneh23

Shaneh, I've "seen" you reviewing your thread several times over the last couple of days: is something unclear, or do you have further questions?

Not that you can't view your thread all night and all day, if that's what you want to do. :)
I just don't understand why it isn't closed lol just frustrating because I want this gone and to me suspended means it can still come back

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">