• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fined for stealing at H&M

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kokoxo

I live in California and I'm 20.
A couple weeks ago I got caught stealing a $7.50 necklace at H&M. I was cooperative, did all the paperwork they requested, etc. I've never stolen before. Today I got a "Settlement Offer" from a firm requesting a $500 fine and saying that they could proceed with further legal action if I don't pay it in 20 days. I don't exactly have $500 and so I'm wondering if they'll think it's worth it to pursue me over such a small item? Could I just ignore the letter? It seems like a bit of a scare tactic. I'd get it if I took a lot of things but it was a $7 necklace which was overpriced anyway. If I have to pay it, is there any way to go about paying it over time? The store worker mentioned that. $500 seems abusive of the situation to me but I don't know what to do.

I live in California and I'm 20.
A couple weeks ago I got caught stealing a $7.50 necklace at H&M. I was cooperative, did all the paperwork they requested, etc. I've never stolen before. Today I got a "Settlement Offer" from a firm requesting a $500 fine and saying that they could proceed with further legal action if I don't pay it in 20 days. I don't exactly have $500 and so I'm wondering if they'll think it's worth it to pursue me over such a small item?
It is and they will.

Could I just ignore the letter? It seems like a bit of a scare tactic
I strongly urge you not to ignore the letter they're not fooling around.

I'd get it if I took a lot of things but it was a $7 necklace which was overpriced anyway.
If I have to pay it, is there any way to go about paying it over time?
Possibly, you'll have to call and find out.
$500 seems abusive of the situation to me but I don't know what to do.
Steeling seems abusive to them. Do not ignore this it will not go away just because you wish it.
Good luck.

..__________________________
~ Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What seems abusive is you stealing other people's property, no matter what it's worth. Would have been cheaper to just pay the $7.50 huh?

I have no doubt that the store will prosecute you if you fail to comply. Add up all the time, attorney's fees, and a criminal record that will follow you around and $500 is cheap by comparison.

Either try to make arrangements with the store or be prepared for the consequences.

FlyingRon

The size of the item is not what matters to them. They have a statutory right to try to recover civil damages for the losses that they have to go through to defend themselves against criminals like you.
You're rolling the dice that H&M won't take you to civil court over the matter. The issue isn't the $7.50 value of the item it's the $500 they hope to recover. If they do take you to court, the damages they collect may indeed increase.

Note, that this civil demand is NOT a fine. The civil restitution they are after is independent from any criminal action. If criminal charges haven't already been started, it's unlikely that by the time they realize you're not paying the demand that they will be.

Last edited:

PaulMass

Do a google search for California Shoplifting Civil Demand and look for results written by REAL lawyers. You'll see the answers differ dramatically from the holier-than-thou responses you've gotten here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">