• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fineline between surveillance and harrassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mzbhvn1

What is the name of your state? Colorado
Recently, there was some sort of altercation outside of my home involving a stolen vehicle and a dangerous fugitive. My friend had come to my house to visit and wait for her friend to come to my neighborhood so she could repay money owed to him. She left just prior to his arrival. He had been to my house one time prior to that so he showed up at my door. He had a girl with him and called my friend to come back. very shortly thereafter He ended up leaving and left the girl i had never met at my house.She asked to use the phone to call for a ride. In approx. 10 min. The man she called picked her up from the entrance to the mobilehome park i live in. She left some belongings here so they came to get them. the man and his companions were here maybe 5 min. They left my house and were in the vehicle when they were surrounded. There were k9 units searching my yard and outside my bedroom window. They did not knock on my door for anything through the entire ordeal until the end when they wanted verification that my roommate was home all evening. (he was talking to the visitors in their vehicle when they were confronted by police) Since that incident, I have talked to one investigative detective confirming i did not know the people that were arrested. However, the police department have been following and stopping people leaving my house and asking questions about ME and MY CHILDREN every day since the incident. I have no involment with the felon or his stolen vehicle or his passengers. How do i handle this or what options do i have to end this sort of treatment/surveillance? Should i call the investigator or should i report this to Internal?

Last edited:

Before even getting down to the police part of your post I was thinking "drugs" being bought and sold out of your home! So I think given the classic scenario for drug dealing, that you describe was going on within your home, the police probably jumped to the same conclusion.

They have a right to investigate given the circumstances.

mzbhvn1

colorado

Drugs, huh. I did not describe any such thing as drug dealing in my home. My clients bring their pcs to my home for me to repair. I guess I can see how it could be misconstrued as such. The events did not occur within my home. they were outside on the street in front of mine and the neighbors driveway. They were searching for something or someone in my yard and in the neighbors yard on the other side as well. Is there anyway I can set it straight or should I just leave well enough alone? Any advice?

Last edited:

CdwJava

You can certainly call and complain to the watch commander. But, unless the officers are doing something illegal, they are following through on information that they either received or that they inferred based upon the circumstances and individuals involved in the arrest.

I would encourage your friends who are stopped to find out WHY they are stopped. If they are not detained with sufficient cause, then the officers could be making unlawful detentions. Even if someone were leaving a "known drug house" they would not be subject to arbitrary stops absent some greater detail.

- Carl

mzbhvn1

My son's dad and uncle had just dropped off my son at home and was stopped after he left and was asked what business they had with the house they just left from. When I was told this, I really became concerned and began to look for some sort of info or advice. The arrest outside was on Wed. Aug. 17. They were stopped on Mon. Aug. 21. I myself have even been followed one morning going to the grocery store. The officer was turning down my street as i was turning off.( i live on a dead end street) When i was turning out the only entrance to the trailer park he was turning after me, and followed me all the way into the King Soopers parking lot. I'm wondering, do i call the investigator and talk to him about the concern?

CdwJava

It might do you some good to talk to the investigator ... on the other hand, it might just make matters worse. if they think you're up to something and are dodging them then they might be more suspicious.

Obviously they suspect someone in your home to be involved in something. Ne'er-do-wells just don't randomly appear at people's homes. When they do appear, we tend to get suspicious. And if neighbors are telling the cops that people come and go frequently, there is a great likelihood that they think there is dope coming from or in to your place.

- Carl

mzbhvn1

Maybe I should post a notice advertising the PC repairs i do, on the mailbox corkboard? I've thought about it since we've moved in, however I'm afraid I would end up with more work than my little bedroom/office can handle, even if I do housecalls. The word of mouth I get is enough to keep me busy as it is. People will know I am a home based personal desktop technician, though. Then if it continues, I would have better ground for action?? I just don't know what to do if i am thought of as.....well, whatever it is they think I'm doing.

Before hanging your shingle you might want to research running a business out of your home in a residential neighborhood. In many areas than can get you into some trouble as well.

I did not accuse you of dealing but the scenario you set up from the beginning is VERY typical of a dope dealing business!

pmccrite

missouri

Association, weather it was directly or indirectly has shown cause for you to be under investigation by the police. Once they see for themselves that you are not involved they will go away. Until they are convinced of this you may as well get used to the company. If you start stiring they will wonder why. Look at it this way, your protected at all times.

mzbhvn1

There are numerous home based businesses in this area. A lot of my neighbors even advertise in the monthly newsletter the management distributes to tenants. I've decided against posting an ad. The cons do outweigh the pros and it probably would cause them to think something IS going on if i was to make a big deal. It just burns me up to think that we have to bend over and take that sort of treatment. It feels like I'm being harrassed, or my families privacy violated. I feel like i need to tell my friends and my kids' friends to "watch out for the cops" on their way in.

mzbhvn1

:mad: Which is just ridiculous, I might add. :mad: Look at my screen name. It's supposed to be an oxymoron. People who know me, get a good chuckle when they learn my e mail address.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">