• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first offenders shoplifting at walmart in minnesota

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Samara17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My friend and i were caught stealing merchandise from wal-mart a couple days ago. They told us that since my friends amount was over $50 they needed to call the police, we waited over an hour for the police to come and he gave us each a citation for first offense misdemeanor, and a court date in a month. We are both 19, and completely unaware of what we should do, we've been told just go to court and plead No Contest, and pay the fine, although Ive been reading online that it is wiser to seek a professional for advice.

So my questions & concerns; 1. Do we need an attorney? 2. Ive read about diversions, and i don't know how to obtain one, or what they even are? 3. How long will this stay on our records? (i have been told that since it is only a first offense, it will be removed in 3 years.. or when you're 21.. im not sure if that is true). 4. Are they going to play the tape of us at the store in court?

we are both really clueless as to what to do or who to talk to, i have a completely clean record, and my friend has a DUI that occurred a few years ago.

any advice will help!

racer72

1. Can you afford one? If yes, it wouldn't hurt.
2. Diversion is a delayed prosecution, don't get in trouble for a specified period of time and the charges are dropped.
3. If convicted, it will remain on your record the rest of your life unless you have the conviction expunged. The 3 year/age 21 thing is for juveniles under 18.
4. Hard to say.
5. You didn't ask but I will pass this along too. You are also going to get a letter from a lawfirm demaning payment for civil restitution. This can be up to $500. This is outside of any criminal penalties you receive. Paying this will not be an option, Walmart is very aggressive when it comes to this and they will not hesitate to sue if you do not pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">