• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Offense Petit Larceny 155.25

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittyr0b0t

I'm 18 and just got charged with Petit Larceny 155.25 in Manhattan, NYC. I got caught attempting to shoplift around 250$ worth of merchandise. This is my first offense, zero criminal history. I was issued a Desk Appearance Ticket and have a court date in a month. I have no idea what it is going to happen when I appear in one month, please explain to me possible ramifications, how will the process go etc., I'm very nervous and want to avoid ruining my future as much as possible. What is the best possible outcome? Should I be hoping for an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal?

OHRoadwarrior

Take all the money you saved from stealing and hire yourself a lawyer. You can get a year in jail for this.

§ 70.15 and § 80.05 Sentences and fines for imprisonment for misdemeanors and violation

1. Class A misdemeanor. A sentence of imprisonment for a class A misdemeanor shall be a definite sentence. When such a sentence is imposed the term shall be fixed by the court, and shall not exceed one year; provided, however, that a sentence of imprisonment imposed upon a conviction to criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree as defined in subdivision one of section 265.01 must be for a period of no less than one year when the conviction was hte result of a plea of guilty entered in satisfaction of an indictment or any count thereof charging the defendant with the class D violent felony offense of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree as defined in any other sentence authorized by law upon a person who has not been previously convicted in the five years immediately preceding the commission of the offense for a felony or a class A misdemeanor defeined in this chapter, if the court having regard to the nature and circumstances of the crime and to the history and character of the defendant, is of the opinion that such sentence would be unduly harsh.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The chances of doing any jail time in New York City for a misdemeanor and no prior record is ZERO.

Your bigger concern should be for your criminal history - you now have one. You can certainly ask for an ACD but in this case I can't say what your chance may be. I'm guessing that you may be offered a reduced charge in the form of a disorderly conduct or similar.

I concur that you should hire an attorney especially if your future concerns you. Would the DAT happen to be returnable to Midtown Community Court?

You Are Guilty

The chances of doing any jail time in New York City for a misdemeanor and no prior record is ZERO.

Your bigger concern should be for your criminal history - you now have one. You can certainly ask for an ACD but in this case I can't say what your chance may be. I'm guessing that you may be offered a reduced charge in the form of a disorderly conduct or similar.
Ditto on all accounts. I will throw it out there that an ACD might be possible with a really good lawyer, so a plea for a violation is an almost certainty (DisCon does seem to be the likely candidate).

(Side note: It's uncanny. It's almost as if you had some sort of personal involvement with the criminal court system in NY. A Christmas miracle, I tell you.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">